That doesn't belong...

etannert

My cat managed to jump into the tank tonight. (She was standing on my shoulder as I was sitting at the table nearby.) She was out before I could even react and never got fully submerged, but still, it was quite the excitement for the evening...

The tank seems to be fine and none the worse for its unexpected visitor. The kitty spent a little time curled up in my lap, recovering her dignity.

Any other tales of feline (or other animal) intrusions into other folks' tanks?

• Like 2

My tank has (8) 2' BML fixtures run perpendicular to the sides. Our kitten has decided that they are perfect for cross-training. Caught her standing on two of them and dipping a paw into the tank, where my naive clowns are used to taking food from my hands. We now have a battery of motion sensors attached to compressed air cans to keep her away. Along with my fear of her falling in, being unable to escape, and drowning is the fear of what effect a wet cat would have on the health of the tank.

My tank has (8) 2' BML fixtures run perpendicular to the sides.  Our kitten has decided that they are perfect for cross-training.  Caught her standing on two of them and dipping a paw into the tank, where my naive clowns are used to taking food from my hands.  We now have a battery of motion sensors attached to compressed air cans to keep her away.  Along with my fear of her falling in, being unable to escape, and drowning is the fear of what effect a wet cat would have on the health of the tank.

Where can I get these air cans. I'm gonna have some fun!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Lol one time my cat was standing on my eurobraced 75 gallon fw tank back when it housed a 12" tiger Oscar. The cat was drinking from the tank, I think the tongue lapping at the water surface triggered a prey drive and the fish attacked, bit the cats face and pulled it in lol. Got it on camera too because I saw it coming a mile away. Wish I still had that video. The cat made it out ok. That particular fish drew blood on me a number of times during cleaning and feeding

i had a kitten fall in just a minute ago, actually. nothing as exciting as blood or downing. but doing cat rescue it is a constant thing here. i want to put a screen top on my tank, but i'm not sure how much weight it will hold.

bio, ssscat is the motion detecting air canister. i have found that they do not last very long, but sometimes the cat will start to recognize the thing as evil and avoid it even after it stops working. http://www.amazon.com/Ssscat-PDT00-13914-SSSCAT-Cat-Training/dp/B000RIA95G i'd order it online. trust me, walking into a pet store and asking if the sell scat is a bit embarassing.

i had a kitten fall in just a minute ago, actually. nothing as exciting as blood or downing. but doing cat rescue it is a constant thing here. i want to put a screen top on my tank, but i'm not sure how much weight it will hold.

bio, ssscat is the motion detecting air canister. i have found that they do not last very long, but sometimes the cat will start to recognize the thing as evil and avoid it even after it stops working. http://www.amazon.com/Ssscat-PDT00-13914-SSSCAT-Cat-Training/dp/B000RIA95G i'd order it online. trust me, walking into a pet store and asking if the sell scat is a bit embarassing.

oh man, my gf is going to hate me when my new item arrives :D

Where shall i leave it first? Next to the toilet at night? in the hallway? this is going to be awesome!

oh man, my gf is going to hate me when my new item arrives :D

Where shall i leave it first? Next to the toilet at night? in the hallway? this is going to be awesome!

We're going to miss you Chris. Will the funeral be here in town or there in Bama?

I'd avoid the bathroom one. While all may require extensive clean up, it's pretty much guaranteed there.

• Like 3

Yep, that's the item we have (2 of them). Don't pay for the official compressed air refills, they run out quickly. Fry's sells a 3 pack of compressed air for cleaning computers. Pop the top off and the Ssscat pops right on in its place. Ours last 3-4 months. And yes, they have scared us numerous times when we return from trips and forget we left them on.

As for scaring the missus, do what I did and buy one of these:

21ejx697hxl_ss500_.jpg?w=450

My wife didn't talk to me for a week.

Yep, that's the item we have (2 of them). Don't pay for the official compressed air refills, they run out quickly. Fry's sells a 3 pack of compressed air for cleaning computers. Pop the top off and the Ssscat pops right on in its place. Ours last 3-4 months. And yes, they have scared us numerous times when we return from trips and forget we left them on.

i found that the tops are what don't last. after not so long (a few months) they seem to stop spritzing, or just go off and empty the can in one go. but while they last, it is great fun to watch the cats burn rubber, hide behind the couch, and stare at it trying to figure out what it is.

as for the toilet monster video...wow. oh my. things of that ilk. nothing really coherent comes to mind :).

We've had our Sscats for over 3 years, no issue with either one. Those and our Scat Mats keep our animals in check.

well, that's cool. maybe we just got a bad batch. but we bought a dozen or something, so it is not an investment i'm looking to make again. we bought nerf guns instead. cheaper, and possibly even more fun. my girlfriend asked why i was buying two at the store, but it only took about five minutes at home before it was made clear to her. :).

• Like 1

Oh Pavlov, what a guy. I guess I could have sold the broken ones for preconditioned cats.

one of our little fosters found a working ssscat and got scared. Instead of running it froze in panic. all the while sssscat was just constantly yelling. It took about an hour for the kitten to recover from that ordeal.