subsea

For me, this vision has encompassed thirty years of my life. After having kept marine ornamental tanks for 44 years, this hobby has brought me to this point in my life. I love it. I am living the dream of being a farmer of aquatics in the Texas Hill Country. During the worst drought in 800 years, I open Aquaculture Ranch.

The vision for the tank started four years ago during the summer of 100 days with at least 100 degrees of heat, "Il fait chaud". When I saw that I could use evaporative cooling to maintain water temperatures less than 82 degrees, I knew that I could be a seaweed farmer. Yes, my initial purpose for the greenhouse was to grow ediable Red Ogo. By using 150G Rubbermaid tanks, I was able to maintain 82 degreesii maximum temperature by using a 20" box fan lying on its side 4" above water. No greenhouse, no shade cloth, just hot sunshine. As an experiment in heat gain, I filled tub up with 70.5 degree water and watched temperature increase to 95.5 in less than ninety minutes.

This morning at dawn during the peak of the summe, the Tank water temperature was 74.4 degrees. When the water temperature rises to 80.5 degrees, I use geothermal cooling. At a rate of 5 GPM, Aquifier water flows at 78.5 and leaves at 79.5 degrees. With this small differential in temperature, geothermal is not a major contributor. During the winter months, geothermal and solar should provide sufficient heat to maintain 70 degrees.

Patrick

post-766-0-45375600-1376750845_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-94683800-1376750911_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-95784600-1376750976_thumb.jpg

Edited by subsea

Yesterday evening, a max temperature of 79.4 degrees was recorded at 7PM. This morning at 0700 hrs the Tank water temperature was 72.4 degrees. Seven degrees change in temperature is a significant amount of heat removed from water.

One BTU equals the amount of heat to change one pound of water one degree fahrenheit.

A. System Volumn estimated at 7000 gallons

1. Tank at 20' long, 12' wide and 4' deep. Operating level is 5000G with max capacity at 7500G. 5000G

2. Rubbermaid grow out tanks include eight 150G tanks at 1000G operating with max capacity at 1200 gallons. 1000G

3. South porch hybrid grow out includes a 75G aquarium with three 10G refugium on a free standing skid. This 500G

100 gallon skid is coupled to three 150 gallon Rubbermaid tanks that are counter sunk into the ground. These

in ground tanks receive direct, unfiltered sunlight all day.

B. heat removed calculation

7000 gallon times 8.4 lbs per gallon times 7 degrees delta T. Equals 412K btu removed in 12 hours. About 34KBTU per hr

or about 3 tons of AC. Using 1/2 HP pump, I circulate 60GPM thru thin wall PVC with drilled 1/8 diameter holes. Using this

1/2 HP pump to promote evaporative cooling and circulation, I exceethe refrigeration capacity of a 3 HP AC. That is a

600% increase in performance over refrigeration AC.

post-766-0-58030200-1376922835_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-86295200-1376922871_thumb.jpg

Edited by subsea

Looks really good. Where will the surge device be?

I am planning on surge devices in two systems. My 135G lagoon will have a 20G tank for a surge. The surge on the 5K Tank will have to wait for me to tie in all systems including 500G South Porch grow out.

Patrick

Looks great.

Having reviewed the information I may have missed something what is your heating capability for fall and winter. I also am curious about bio sustainability, it looks like 30 gallons of refugium to support 6970 gallons, make me concerned about sustainability.

With respect to heating for fall and winter, I can not answer that with a simple text book answer. The greenhouse is a solar collector. Because of the density of water it provides thermal mass that resist change in temperature. Even during the winter time, I will be required to remove heat. On the coldest of days, not so. During the few winter days that we get in Austin, I will use propane hot water heaters.

Your question on bio sustainability is confusing. Please explain your concern.

Patrick

I think that the entire 7000 gallons of water it's a refugium, the bioload is very low compared to the live rock and volume of water.

Looks great.

Having reviewed the information I may have missed something what is your heating capability for fall and winter. I also am curious about bio sustainability, it looks like 30 gallons of refugium to support 6970 gallons, make me concerned about sustainability.

• Like 1

To further this discussion on sustainable, I will start out with the most obvious, sunshine. In the Texas Hill Country during the summer time, Il fait chaud. I use a 65% shade cloth. The PAR at the water surface is 900. It is 800 at the bottom of the tank. In the winter, the shade cloth comes off and the clear poly wrap goes on. I am a zero water discharge facility. Make up water replaces water lost to evaporation. As macro is my largest product line, the water that is incorporated in biomass of macro removed for sales also must be replaced. For me, water is a renewable source and it is sustainable.

For me, macro is a sustainable product line. I already have the DNA seeded in the tanks. Some macro grows from no where. Most of the macro production here is cutting sprigs. It is for this reason that tumble culture is my most favorite method. It multiplies itself as you provide water and sunshine.

I can think of no product line that is more sustainable. Just add water and Texas sunshine.

Patrick

I think that the entire 7000 gallons of water it's a refugium, the bioload is very low compared to the live rock and volume of water.

Looks great.

My bio load is also my bio filter. Rock and macro is hardly a bioload The mollies are the only fish in the system. I do not consider them as a bio load. As a herbivore, I consider them a janitor. Yes, I consider all 7000 gallons as a refugium. The pods feed on biofilm in front of the mollies. When pod populations are abundant in every part of the system, I compare that to a refugium..

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

Looking down into 150G Rubbermaid tank with live arogonnite sand with a green macro, Caulerpa Prolifera, as a mono culture. I have selected six macros for mono culture:

Green: Caulerpa Prolifera, Caulerpa Paspoides, Ulva

Red: Gracilaria Parvispora, Gracilaria Cervicornis. Both Red Grapes and Dragons Breath are in production to be available in

December for sustainable sales.

Looking down into 150G Rubbermaid tank with live arogonnite sand with a green macro, Caulerpa Prolifera, as a mono culture. I have selected six macros for mono culture:

Green: Caulerpa Prolifera, Caulerpa Paspoides, Ulva

Red: Gracilaria Hayi, Gracilaria Cervicornis. Both Red Grapes and Dragons Breath are in

production to be available in December for sustainable sales.

Laissez la bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

post-766-0-31960100-1378464025_thumb.jpg

Arogonnite .1mm-1.0mm at about 3" deep. My guess is 400 lbs in the 150G tub. In the 10K gallon system that is now connected, there is a 1000 lbs of sand. While vacuming gravel, I noted that I have micro starfish.

Patrick