ID please

Wade

I noticed this thing growing on one of my zoa frags, but couldn't get a good look at it until I pulled the frag out and snapped a picture of it. My closest guess is some kind of feather duster although I've not seen any in the tank for years. What say you?

post-1837-0-07013500-1375927512_thumb.jp

OK. Crisis over. I scraped it off with a knife. Came off pretty easy. Scraped all remnants and then some ans rinsed it off. Hopefully that's the end of it. I haven't seen any others. Thanks all.

Man I've got a ton of those. Haven't really noticed excessive irritation. I've read accounts of them being so invasive they clog plumbing almost completely shut and kill large coral colonies. Others say they'll come and go in small numbers. My experience has been the latter. If the coral is easily removable, ill take it out and pull the vermatid off with some tweezers. Otherwise, while they're not plague proportions, they are too numerous to kill one at a time. They're a filter feeder. The more they have to feed on, the more numerous they'll be

Archived