Barebottom or Sand?

jsr

I am going to bring my 14g nano online soon and want to know what everyone thinks about going BB. I know its a small tank and any filtration would help, but I kind of like the black bottom look. I will have live rock to aid in filtration, along with rubble in the back. Any thoughts/concerns are appreciated.

James

I am going to bring my 14g nano online soon and want to know what everyone thinks about going BB. I know its a small tank and any filtration would help, but I kind of like the black bottom look. I will have live rock to aid in filtration, along with rubble in the back. Any thoughts/concerns are appreciated.

James

there is black sand. and im sure you could find black rocks.

I would only put sand in if you plan to have diggers. With bare bottom you can aim the flow right at the bottom and keep all the detrius in the water column and then hopefully out of the tank into your filtration. Then again with such a small tank it probalby will not matter as much.

Thanks again. I decided to go with sand. However, I may have made a BIG mistake with my rock. I added three medium sized pieces of that "Texas Holy Rock" that I had sitting around. Now, everything looks milky. Could the saltwater be breaking down the limestone?

Thanks again. I decided to go with sand. However, I may have made a BIG mistake with my rock. I added three medium sized pieces of that "Texas Holy Rock" that I had sitting around. Now, everything looks milky. Could the saltwater be breaking down the limestone?

no not really. its more likely its all the dust. the rock if you dont wash it first will have all sorts of dust and fine layer on the surface may break off. basically the rock is curing in a way. give it time it will clear up. but be carful, that rock from outside may have all sorts of chemicals on it. pesticides poisons etc from the yard...

The rock is about 10 years old and was used in a FW aquarium. When I get the tank, and rock, I scrubbed it very well, soaked it in RO/DI water for 2 weeks, then boiled it in RO/DI water. That was 2 months ago. I thought that would have cleaned it up.

Yeah, I know. I was thinking I would just use what I had and not spend the extra money. I may break it down, clean everything, and add about 15 or 20 pounds of rock from a LFS. Thank everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.