AI Director

Jimbo662

Got it in the mail today. It's much smaller than I expected. Since this is a beta program there were a few issues setting it up...mostly vague set up instructions. Once i got the wireless connected and the browser page loaded it was pretty easy to set up the lights. Looks very similar to the radion tool. You select the number of program points for each color. You can drag each point to the time of day and intensity % on the X / Y axis. It doesn't yet have the weather programming or sunset option. Those should come with future updates.

post-2872-0-31662500-1375139158_thumb.jp

I keep having to remind myself this is still in beta. In true AI fashion they provided basic setup instructions and almost no functionality instructions...no step by step anything so setting it up has been by trial and error. I'm doing a test right now...i've got a horrible feeling that like the "new controller" which has to stay plugged in all the time for the lights to function the director has to constantly stay connected to a computer. This would be a major problem because I'm not going to leave my computer on 24x7.

I keep having to remind myself this is still in beta. In true AI fashion they provided basic setup instructions and almost no functionality instructions...no step by step anything so setting it up has been by trial and error. I'm doing a test right now...i've got a horrible feeling that like the "new controller" which has to stay plugged in all the time for the lights to function the director has to constantly stay connected to a computer. This would be a major problem because I'm not going to leave my computer on 24x7.

If you decide you absolutely hate the director and no longer wanna play with it I'll buy it off you. Just tossing it out there :)

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to more info about how it works and how it compares to their other controller and such. Keep the updates flowing!!

Director doesn't need to be connected to a computer 24/7. It's working great w/ my hydras right now. some bugs to work out though...

Would love a full write up, and also feedback on how you're liking the hydras.

In short, love the Hydras. Much better colors (compared to my old AI sol blues and Radion Gen 1s), excellent spread (have 3 over a 60x30x24" tank), & plenty of power. When I was running Sol Blues, I needed to use 4 t5s to get some better color and coverage on a 30" wide tank. I've stopped using the t5's to save on heat and energy and love the color.

The Director is very buggy right now, but has a lot of potential...

WOW...i forgot what beta testing was like...

I pretty much don't use it during the week. When you set the page up you have to select the time / time zone. One of the glitches causes the time to jump ahead 4-5 hours...this happens every 1-2 hrs so you go from full daylight to pitch black at the blink of an eye. I've only been running it while I'm at home and around the tank so that if it does happen I can go reset everything.

Well...much progress has been made by the AI guys. They finally fixed the biggest issue with the time. It's been running non-stop since Sunday. This weekend is going to be play time. Planning to sit in my comfy chair in the living room and play with the color settings and be able to watch it change in real time so I can get it just right. They've still got a ways to go though.