Who feeds live blackworms?

Janelle12

I was reading this thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1907090&page=2

and then I started wondering who around here feeds blackworms. This guy Paul B has a 40 year old reef with several pairs of fish who spawn regularly because he feeds these worms to his tank. His fish also never get ich despite adding stuff from the ocean to his tank, and also from the LFS to his tank, with no quarantine. It intrigued me. So I'm going to try it but I thought I'd see if anyone here has experience with keeping, culturing, and feeding live blackworms.

I have kept blackworms and fed blackworms. However, I have never cultured them. From what I have read, they don't seem hard to culture. ALL of my fish love them and have been really healthy. I alternate feeding my SW tank PE Mysis and live blackworms. Those fish gobble the worms right up. They usually go a bit crazy when the blackworms hit the water. None of my fish have gotten ich, even after adding new arrivals. Not sure if it's because of the blackworms or if I've just been lucky. I also feed the worms to my FW tank full of Betta Rubras, White Cloud Mountain Minnows, Ember Tetras (yes, these tiny guys try their best to slurp the worms down) and glass hatchetfish. I keep the worms in a small tray in my fridge and just change their water each day. I have had the worms last for weeks at a time.

Paul B also feeds his fish clams after he had his fill. He and I have talked in detail about this. By feeding fish to get into breeding shape, the fish immune system fights the ich. To make his point, he introduced an ich infected fish into his system with the cure of the infected fish and no outbreak in the established tank. He is a big believer in live food and has evidence to back it up.

In my opinion, fresh live clams, mussels and oysters all supply ingredients to accomplish this.

Nothing like a seafood banquet.

Laissez la bonne temps roulez,

Patrick

I feed live blackworms ... everyone in the tank loves 'em. Blennies, gobies, mandarins, even my waspfish will swim up to grab the wriggly worms out of the water. Even got my fuzzy dwarf lion eating black worms.

I'm a big fan of live feeding - I do the newly hatched brine and larger brine (gut loaded on those guys), and ghost shrimp for the lion.I'm still feeding frozen and some dry, too. These guys get a ton of choices.