New 35g Mangrove Setup

xcreonx

Hello. Over the last 6 months I've been re-doing my 35g tank.

Here's my old tank: http://www.austinreefclub.com/index.php?ac...p;f=14&id=4

I decided to do something a little bit different. After living on the ocean in Florida for 10 years I wanted to create a more 'natural' look. I also wanted to focus on my beautiful healthy Elegance and Fox corals as the centerpieces with a few choice corals joining them. This setup may not represent a biotope of any kind, but it does look more like what I'm used to seeing in the ocean.

I suspended some red mangrove seeds to encourage prop roots and I added some various macroalgaes. Surprisingly, several macros just showed up including the Halimeda, the Codium and the Razor Caulerpa. I have no idea where they came from!

As far as equipment, Im keeping it really simple. Im using a Tunze Nanostream with a controller for movement, an air pump / air stone running constantly (except in the photos... microbubbles) and big water changes for filtration. There's also a Tunze Osmolator for topoff. You will notice a very huge, ugly heater that I need to switch out for a smaller, more concealed unit. Lighting is the same as my old tank, 4-light Teklight T5 fixture.

Enough talk, onto the photos:

front1.jpg

front2.jpg

elegance1.jpg

elegance2.jpg

side1.jpg

front3.jpg

front4.jpg

mangroves1.jpg

roots.jpg

Thanks for checking out my new tank! I'll try to answer any questions you may have.

Edited by xcreonx

cool to see something truly different! great set up. i have an idea for a tide pool tank were you would have an oversized sump where almost all of the water would go for low tide, then pumped back into the tank for high tide. stock it with anemones and urchins and snails, maybe a couple of blennies.

Thanks guys.

Starfire, I did think about seahorses but Im worried the elegance might decide they were lunch. I do have two fish in there. A Fiji Blue Damsel and a Spotted Cardinalfish, both I've had for YEARS. I think Ill stick with these two guys for now. WIth the water level dropped, the 35g probably becomes 25g and i don't want too much of a bioload.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my! Beautiful tank!

I have a 70 tall with the overflow box 8" shorter than normal. I had planned to do EXACTLY the same type of tank but have never gotten around to setting it up. Thanks for the inspiration!

Oh, yeah the elegance and seahorses wouldn't work out.

Edited by Richard

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Thanks for checking out my new tank! I'll try to answer any questions you may have.

That is really amazing!

I'm a high school science teacher in south Austin. I'm putting together a "southeast Asian mangrove biotope" for the classroom.

I've got a 55g tank, and I'm still waiting on the supplies (filter, substrate, etc.)

Then I'll add some mudskippers, archer fish, and maybe a puffer.

Questions:

1) Where can I obtain mangrove plants in Austin?

(I'm looking for a variety of heights. From "sprouts" to some that are exactly like yours -- long enough to breach the water surface from the tank bottom.)

2) What kind of light would be required? (Right now, the tank has a "stock" light. I haven't looked at it closely yet.)

3) When can the mangroves be planted in the tank? Is is better to wait until the tank has been fully cycled?

Thanks!

Oh the suspense! The roots can be trimmed too. You should be judicious when trimming the roots though. Only trim the roots back to the extent they interfere with the normal functioning of the tank, and never chop off more than half of the size of the plant, discounting the size of the original seed. A little bit at a time is the way to do it. There are some good tips on tree stunting and shaping on the bonsai forums, same exact principles.

Here is what I know for sure: The actual tank is now in the office at Kingfish with some awesome Acans in it. Here is what I am pretty sure happened: xcreonx got out of the hobby. He sold most of the corals and then the rest of the setup to John and Brian. They still have the mangroves but they are in a different tank now.