Road Trips & Camping

Stephen

My girlfriend and I are going on a road trip later this July for 6 days to drive to Michigan for my grandfathers 90th bday party and are looking for some cool places to stop along the way. Museums, national parks, cool weird stuff, good fishing, etc? We love the outdoors and like the city too.

Our projected path.

Day 1 Dallas

Day 2 St. Loius, MO(looking for good camp ground withing an 1-2 hrs of st. louis on I44 or I55)

Day 3&4 Battle Creek, MI

Day 5 Memphis, TN(looking for good camp ground withing an 1-2 hrs of Memphis I55 or I40)

Day 6 Austin

If you have made this trip before what which routes did you take? Anyone camp in Missouri, Tennessee or Arkansas before?

Ideally we would love to camp in a large national park on a body of fresh water with lots of local attractions.

We plan to hit Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee along the way! Some 2,000 plus miles in 20 hours or so

Too bad the Kellogs factory in Battle Creek stopped doing tours. I did one of those when I was a kid.

The TN aquarium is pretty neat.

Depending on how you go through MI, if you hit the Detroit area, the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn is worth a stop. Besides the cars, the attached Greenfield Village has a lot of original stuff from Edison and other inventors.

Yeah, I wish it was too. I'm originally from MI and have been to the Kellogs factory before. That new museum they built is just not the same experience. The Henry Ford Museum is nice too.

My girlfriend and I are going on a road trip later this July for 6 days to drive to Michigan for my grandfathers 90th bday party and are looking for some cool places to stop along the way. Museums, national parks, cool weird stuff, good fishing, etc? We love the outdoors and like the city too.

Our projected path.

Day 1 Dallas

Day 2 St. Loius, MO(looking for good camp ground withing an 1-2 hrs of st. louis on I44 or I55)

Day 3&4 Battle Creek, MI

Day 5 Memphis, TN(looking for good camp ground withing an 1-2 hrs of Memphis I55 or I40)

Day 6 Austin

If you have made this trip before what which routes did you take? Anyone camp in Missouri, Tennessee or Arkansas before?

Ideally we would love to camp in a large national park on a body of fresh water with lots of local attractions.

We plan to hit Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee along the way! Some 2,000 plus miles in 20 hours or so

For day 2, I used to live 1 hour east of STL in a small town called Mount vernon at the 64/57 exchange area.

If I were to camp in that area I would choose Forbes State Park, or Rend Lake.

Our projected path.

Day 1 Dallas

Day 3&4 Battle Creek, MI

Day 6 Austin

We plan to hit Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee along the way! Some 2,000 plus miles in 20 hours or so[/

For day 2, I used to live 1 hour east of STL in a small town called Mount vernon at the 64/57 exchange area.

If I were to camp in that area I would choose Forbes State Park, or Rend Lake.

I used to have kinfolk in mount Vernon.

Really now?

Got a last name? or a Job of what they did? Its small enough I probably know them or they know my dad since he was a doc in the town. And we had one of the most known iconic houses there. (7500 sqft house that was originally a 500 sqft barn, its a giant red barn house now lol)

Archived