Maggie Muffler Modification Suggestion

After some thought I realized there was a significant advantage to the downflow bell design of the Hofer as compared to the Maggie. And that is the safety overflow design. When the air breather of either design becomes restricted (As in the rise of water in the overflow box) it causes the inflow of air to change to the bell causing the water level to drop to that point. It also causes the device to become noisy which alerts you to a problem. To test this just place your finger over the air tube to see the level drop and device become noisy. However w/ the Maggie the top of the bell where the air intake is sits so high that the air intake is well above the flood level of the overflow box.

Therefore It becomes necessary to make another modifcation to address this potential problem. The easy fix is to leave the tubing coming out of the top long enough to run down the side of the bell low enough to reach a safe hghest level you would ever want your water level to be, and simply attach the end of the tube there w/ a zip tie or w/ super glue.

Please look at the drawing and note the point at which to attach the tube above the desired water line. Sorry for the child like drawing but this was the best i could muster w/ a free hand and mouse.

Yes sorry

Seems my little paint sketch was over the allowed 8 mg limit due to the format. Sorry but I think the idea is simple enough to illustrate verbally even w/o picture attached. We just need to run the tube out long enough to run down the side of the bell to a point above the water line that will not excede the point to which the overflow box would flood and attach it there with either a zip tie or super glue.

Yes sorry

Seems my little paint sketch was over the allowed 8 mg limit due to the format. Sorry but I think the idea is simple enough to illustrate verbally even w/o picture attached. We just need to run the tube out long enough to run down the side of the bell to a point above the water line that will not excede the point to which the overflow box would flood and attach it there with either a zip tie or super glue.

Try .gif or .jpg versus .bmp and it should fit.

Archived