Plumbing help

KimP

I'm planning on building a durso standpipe to get water from the display to sump, but can't find any info on how to get water from the return pump up to display, the part that's inside the overflow box attaching to the bulkhead. Is it just a piece of pvc with loc-line attached?

I'm assuming you're using 3/4 in locline on that one. You would plumb a 3/4 PVC bulkhead in the overflow with the PVC pipe height up near the top of the overflow and then use a locline to pvc adapter to switch over to the locline.

Underneath the stand, I would personally use a pvc to hose barb adapter and run flexible tubing to the bulkhead from the pump.

Kim, If you can not figure it out I will set it up when I am over there measuring for your sump as soon as I get back in town. Can also build your manifold since it will be running reactors and such at the sump level.

Is your tank already drilled for the plumbing? Do you have an overflow box? What return pump will you be using? These answers will help figure out whats the best setup for you.

There are adapters to attach the loc-line to the pipe. If your pipe in the overflow box is 3/4", then you would attach a 3/4" elbow slip x thread then to the threaded side connect a 3/4" MPT to loc-line adapter. LFS stores sell the loc-line adapter, everything else you can pretty much get at the hardware store.

Yes, of course. Shows how much I don't know! There are 2 1"holes at the bottom of a single overflow box. I have the bulkheads and was planning on getting the parts to build the durso overflow and return. Only the parts in the tank. I'm not ready to figure out the underneath part yet. I'm working with bio3 on the sump, so when that happens I'll get the underneath done. I have a parts list for the durso but am completely clueless on the return part. I don't have any loc-line yet, isn't that just the part at the top where you can aim how the water comes out?

for the return it is just a piece of pipe that fits into the bulkhead then has a 90 that is threaded on one side to accept the lockline depending on the tank size this will probably be a 3/4" - 1" pvc

see the center pipe here:

Aquarium-Durso-Drain-and-Return-Plumbing

Yes, of course. Shows how much I don't know! There are 2 1"holes at the bottom of a single overflow box. I have the bulkheads and was planning on getting the parts to build the durso overflow and return. Only the parts in the tank. I'm not ready to figure out the underneath part yet. I'm working with bio3 on the sump, so when that happens I'll get the underneath done. I have a parts list for the durso but am completely clueless on the return part. I don't have any loc-line yet, isn't that just the part at the top where you can aim how the water comes out?

Are the holes 1" wide or are you using 1" bulkheads? For instance for a 3/4" bulk head I used I needed to make a make 1.33" in diameter. Assuming your using a threaded bulkhead you will need: MPT adapter + pipe + elbow (slip x thread) + loc-line MPT connection + loc-line. You can add a nozzle to the loc-line or not and just point it in the direction you want the flow. Also don't forget to drill a siphon break in the bottom corner of the elbow.

I hope this helps smile.png

for the return it is just a piece of pipe that fits into the bulkhead then has a 90 that is threaded on one side to accept the lockline depending on the tank size this will probably be a 3/4" - 1" pvc<br /> <br />see the center pipe here:<br /> <br />

Thank you so much for the picture! That's exactly what I needed to see. So it's okay for the return pipe to be skinnier than the drain?

example...I have a DSA neo 90 tank (1" overflow 3/4" return)

you will notice in the picture i sent they have all three the same size, however there are 2 overflows...so in essence the return is 1/2 the size of the overflows in that configuration, and it is fine

The reason for a locline is it's adjustable so you can aim it where you want to and move it to the height you need in order to create a siphon break. If your water line is higher than your return then you could suck a lot of the water out of your DT into your sump, or floor once your sump is full. I would also recommend getting a y splitter if your putting your return in the middle.

... ok you guys are faster at replying than me...

Are the holes 1" wide or are you using 1" bulkheads? For instance for a 3/4" bulk head I used I needed to make a make 1.33" in diameter. Assuming your using a threaded bulkhead you will need: MPT adapter + pipe + elbow (slip x thread) + loc-line MPT connection + loc-line. You can add a nozzle to the loc-line or not and just point it in the direction you want the flow. Also don't forget to drill a siphon break in the bottom corner of the elbow.

I hope this helps :)

Yes it does thanks. The holes are 1"and I have threaded bulkheads.

A drilled siphon break is unnecessary if:

A) your sump can hold the water that flows back through until your return is exposed to air

b) you don't use too much locline/have it too deep

c) have a check valve (but these can fail)

a drilled siphon break is a safety measure

I hope this helps smile.png

Yes it does thanks. The holes are 1"and I have threaded bulkheads.

so it sounds like they are 1/2" bulkheads. For example BRS bulkheads (size can vary per manufacture):

1/2" ABS Bulkhead Slip X Slip Dimensions (see diagram)

A. 44mm/1.72"

B. 43mm/1.69"

C. 27mm/1.06" (Installation Hole Size)

bulkhead-sizes_2.jpg

Archived