55 G Long Fish Display

DigsUT

The plan with this tank is to have a nice marine display separation between the dining room and the living room.

To start, the tank will be a FOWLR set up. Future consideration will be made to convert to a reef tank waaaay later down the line:p

Tank Specs(thus far):

55G Long Aqueon Tank

2 Marineland Penguin 200 Bio-wheel power filters

post-3038-0-92114600-1365385848_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-59143500-1365385874_thumb.jp

A 2x4 under compression can hold over 10,000 lbs. I think you'll be fine adding it there.

that is not entirily correct. for a colum in compression it dependent on the height (taller the weaker) and a few other things. check out the following website and enter the dimensions. For 3 foot tall it is around 3000 lbs., which is still a lot.

https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/arch264/calculators/example7.1/index.html

Thanks for all of the advice guys!

There was a 16 gallon tank on there previously with no issues. I also "hopped" around on that shelf and it did not seem to have nay "give." While that is not a fool proof test, I believe that this shelf could hold that weight.

Before the water goes in, I will be dropping a liner underneath, for some water protection.

For aesthetic purposes, I am contemplating putting a hang on filter on each side. I thought about using a canister, but the hoses just did not look good in that open space. Would the two filters be a tad overkill for a "fish only" tank?

Thanks for all of the advice guys!<br /> <br />There was a 16 gallon tank on there previously with no issues. I also "hopped" around on that shelf and it did not seem to have nay "give." While that is not a fool proof test, I believe that this shelf could hold that weight.<br /> <br />Before the water goes in, I will be dropping a liner underneath, for some water protection.<br /> <br />For aesthetic purposes, I am contemplating putting a hang on filter on each side. I thought about using a canister, but the hoses just did not look good in that open space. Would the two filters be a tad overkill for a "fish only" tank?<br />

What would you use the hang on filters or canister for?

Thanks for all of the advice guys!<br /> <br />There was a 16 gallon tank on there previously with no issues. I also "hopped" around on that shelf and it did not seem to have nay "give." While that is not a fool proof test, I believe that this shelf could hold that weight.<br /> <br />Before the water goes in, I will be dropping a liner underneath, for some water protection.<br /> <br />For aesthetic purposes, I am contemplating putting a hang on filter on each side. I thought about using a canister, but the hoses just did not look good in that open space. Would the two filters be a tad overkill for a "fish only" tank?<br />

What would you use the hang on filters or canister for?

The filtration for the tank.

The larger hang filters are two wide for the tank, so I have to use a smaller GPH rated power filter. Plus, with the length of the tank, figured having two would keep the tank nice and clear:)

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I have updated this tank.

I decided to go forward with turning it into a reef tank. Added the following:

48" BmLED Reef spectrum light

Green Killing Machine - UV sterilizer

Powerhead - not sure of model, Teresa loaned it to me:)

As far as livestock, i just have a few zoa colonies and two frog spawn. The wrasse is the first resident and seems to be doing well. Hope to add more soon as money permits.

There was about a week where you could not even see in the tank with how thick the green bloom was. The UV sterilizer worked great in clearing it up.

post-3038-0-88241500-1369868368_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-93854800-1369868404_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-50543000-1369868428_thumb.jp

Remarkably close to our first tank:

http://reef.nuxx.org/images/reef-images/sand-and-live-rock.jpg

Started with a HOB filter and powerhead, also divided two rooms.

Ditched the HOB filter (now used for QT) and went to a big canister (now QT) and Aqua C Remora (now QT)... that actually ran pretty well for a long time.

I'm sure you'll soon move to a different setup with more powerheads (flow) and a sump with a real skimmer... not to mention bigger tanks tongue.png

If you get a canister, dump all the media that comes with it and full it completely with Live Rock Rubble.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see this tank coming along. Looking good! Do you have any other fish in mind to add?

I have a copper band butterfly in quarantine right now. If it lives and all the "ich" is gone, it should make it to the tank in the next week or so. I sure hope it makes it, cause it really is a nice looking fish with a quirky personality:p

Remarkably close to our first tank:

http://reef.nuxx.org/images/reef-images/sand-and-live-rock.jpg

Started with a HOB filter and powerhead, also divided two rooms.

Ditched the HOB filter (now used for QT) and went to a big canister (now QT) and Aqua C Remora (now QT)... that actually ran pretty well for a long time.

I'm sure you'll soon move to a different setup with more powerheads (flow) and a sump with a real skimmer... not to mention bigger tanks tongue.png

If you get a canister, dump all the media that comes with it and full it completely with Live Rock Rubble.

I went with the HOB filters simply for aesthetics. Now that there is a book shelf on the living room side of the tank, I may consider a canister. I have one sitting in reserve, just in case I decide to make that change.

Surprisingly, the flow in the tank is pretty good. Having the two 55g rated HOB filters on each side, really moves the water around. I definitely need to get a better powerhead (Teresa wants her back:p)

Unfortunately, I don't think a sump is viable where the tank sits. Hiding that would be a project in itself:p