Move or sell and start out new?

Funkness

This might not be the right place but kind of an emergency i am moving back home in early to mid may a trip of 894 miles 2 days most likely and i and debating on selling everything in the tank and starting out fresh or risking loosing everything on the trip and time to setup all the stuff what do you guys think?

any info would be great

Thanks

Mike

This might not be the right place but kind of an emergency i am moving back home in early to mid may a trip of 894 miles 2 days most likely and i and debating on selling everything in the tank and starting out fresh or risking loosing everything on the trip and time to setup all the stuff what do you guys think?

any info would be great

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

I'm going to be experiencing this same thing in May/June my drive is going to be 780 miles. It's only a 10-12 hour drive but I'm undecided what I should do also.

One idea I had was to take all my water jugs and fill them with tank water so I had ~90 gallons on hand to setup with, and the corals/fish are used to the water. During transport I planned to use bubble buckets with hang on the back air pumps that run on batteries. I use these when I go to the coast and do not have any issues with them. I'll buy some Rubbermaid containers before I take off and pack and dry equipment in them and empty them once I arrive to have as holding tanks. I figure it shouldn't take but 1 day to setup atleast 1 tank to get them back into proper care but I figured worse case I can hold them like this for 72 hours.

My biggest fear is breaking a tank during the move, and how much space they will take inside the truck.

Well my worst thing is i wont have a place to set it up right away at and i figure i could take small frags of everything i have and keep them in a small 12 gallon tank i can setup just for keeping them alive intel i do get the larger tank setup

Well my worst thing is i wont have a place to set it up right away at and i figure i could take small frags of everything i have and keep them in a small 12 gallon tank i can setup just for keeping them alive intel i do get the larger tank setup

that is a good idea, I'd go a bit bigger like a 20 long

If you do it in one shot (no overnight stopping) and you have enough time to plan for it, you could make it with everything.

You basically have 2 options, first package everything up individually as if you were shipping it. Second option is to get DC or battery operated equipment, or a really good AC inverter for your vehicle, and setup a mobile frag / storage tank.

If you don't want to risk it, sell off all the coral and fish, and move with just the rock and hardware. If you can't set something up immediately, I would probably opt for selling the livestock and not risking it.

• Like 1

My wife and I did Nashville in 10-12 hours from Austin (in a 15-passenger Ford e-350 rental beast of a van), stopping only for gas/food/restroom breaks (which is approx the same distance, it was unpleasent, but it is possible). if it wasn't for the lack of ability to just setup upon arrival I would say it is doable

If you have the room get enough buckets, leave just enough water in the tank to cover the sand bed., ad transport it yourself. As long as you have 24 hours your going to be ok. It may be 24 hours after you set it up that your corals will come out the same, but totaly worth it. I have done it 5 times myself. I would recomend a 20% water change after you get it set up again as disturbing the sand bed will cause your nitrates, and phosphates to jump.

We just did a 1500 mile move from San Diego to Austin. We had over 400 bags of coral and fish. Here is what we did:

1. Bag up all coral individually and pump bags with pure oxygen. Make sure fish are in jumbo bags with plenty of water. We lost one fish because he was put into too small of a bag.

2. Load bag into Styrofoam boxes and seal. We did not use heat packs and part of the drive was pretty chilly but we were afraid to cook stuff.

3. Loaded boxes and all equipment into uhaul trailer. We also took about 50 gallons of water. This was from a 200+ gallon system.

4. Drive straight through. Switch off drivers.

5. Have someone on the other side pick up a large bin or bins and have water made, salted, heated, etc.

6. When we got there, we floated all the bags in the bins of premade water for at least an hour.

7. Plan on being up at least 8 hours to set everything back up again when you get there. We had to level everything, etc. And it took time.

If you want any more details let me know. I'm sure I missed something. Good luck.