Which RO/DI unit?

Brooks

To get your total chlorine to zero, you need the pentek chloramine filter and a BRS canister of catalytic carbon. The catalytic carbon replaces the 5 micron carbon. <br /><br />Hutto uses chloramine. The effects of 0.03-0.05 mg/l of chloramine passing through a standard brs rodi kit may be negligible, but I'm not willing to risk it :)

• Like 1

To get your total chlorine to zero, you need the pentek chloramine filter and a BRS canister of catalytic carbon. The catalytic carbon replaces the 5 micron carbon. <br /><br />Hutto uses chloramine. The effects of 0.03-0.05 mg/l of chloramine passing through a standard brs rodi kit may be negligible, but I'm not willing to risk it smile.png

Wooh! Good to know!

Some good advice given here IMO. Victolly is wisely suggesting matching the system to your water source. I agree the 5 stage is definately the way to go. I eventually added the 150 gph upgrade which they now sell as a complete unit as Mitch pointed out. I found that feature really pays off with system of 200+ gallons.

Would this be the one that would do the trick, Victoly? Actually just found out that Manville is our water supplier... not Hutto.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-5-stage-chloramines-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd.html

Yeah, my setup is basically the same as that one. Manville uses chloramine as well. To echo the sentiments of others, if your tank is large, you may be best off using a second RO membrane to get you to that 150 gpd. I only have a 29g so it's hard to justify the work to add in a second membrane, but if I were to do a new unit, it would be with two RO membranes.

so my ideal unit would be like this one:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-5-stage-water-saver-plus-ro-di-system-150gpd.html

where the two carbon blocks are switched out with the chloramine specific filters from the one that you linked (the pentek and the catalytic), with the three way flush valve that they include for rinsing the carbon. I'd give the BRS guys an email and see if they can work something up for you.

Brooks, I've got the 5 stage unit and it works great out here in Hutto. My readings are consistently around 210 going in and 0-1 going out. My pressure is always between 55-60 psi. I've not added the 150g upgrade yet but have really been thinking about it.