Another film algae control thread

KevinB

So I've made it through the various outbreaks of algae...cyano, red turf, hair, etc. I now really only have one problem...film algae. My film algae is somewhat tough, meaning it takes 3 or so passes to scrape it off. Most of it is brown, but some is tougher and bright green.

I don't feel like I overfeed, but I suppose I could cut back the lights a little. I haven't found turbos to be a reliable solution. Are there any others ideas?

I suppose I clean once a week but could clean every 4 days if I had the time. I use 0 tds water from my own filter...I guess more frequent water changes would be good for other reasons too, does it make much if a difference? I guess there's no magic bullet

I'd go with margarita and trochus snails. My trochus are MACHINES. They never stop munching on the film. As for the brown film, I suspect if your situation is anything like what I've gone through, it will subside on its own once the tank stabilizes. I recall having a very sandy feeling brown film on my pico for a while during the tail-end of the cycle. The situation progressed for a few days till it hit its peak. Then I suspect the tank began to stabilize, as the film algae didnt repopulate as quickly as time progressed. I'm now at the point where I dont have film algae at all.

I'm not sure the water change is really going to help much. If anything it may prolong the end of your cycle, as you'll be removing bacteria from the water column. Are you/have you been dosing any bacteria? I'd maybe even cut back the light cycle a little bit. Are you running moonlights 24/7 by chance?

I do run moonlights, but they are very dark, just 4 little RadioShack LEDs...I've never actually heard of dosing bacteria, unless you are referring to the stuff you can buy to help out a brand new tank

Also FYI, nitrates and phosphates have been at 0 for a long time now

I do run moonlights, but they are very dark, just 4 little RadioShack LEDs...I've never actually heard of dosing bacteria, unless you are referring to the stuff you can buy to help out a brand new tank

Also FYI, nitrates and phosphates have been at 0 for a long time now

They read zero cause the algae is consuming them.

I do run moonlights, but they are very dark, just 4 little RadioShack LEDs...I've never actually heard of dosing bacteria, unless you are referring to the stuff you can buy to help out a brand new tank<br /><br />Also FYI, nitrates and phosphates have been at 0 for a long time now

<br />They read zero cause the algae is consuming them.
<br /><br /><br />Were that 100% true, then I should have a nitrate and or phosphate spike everytime I clean the glass. That's not happening.