Dissolving GFO ?

victoly

Weirdest thing happening in my tank right now.

I noticed high pH in my tank last night (8.5+).

post-2314-136313646026_thumb.jpg
Today it was very cloudy. Also there is a red film over my tubing, in my filter sponge and on my mp10. It also looks like about half of the volume of my GFO reactor is gone. My alk is also low again (115 ppm). I'm not freaking out yet, as everything looks relatively happy (sps included).

I think it might also be because I upped my kalk dose in addition to the vinegar I dose in the kalk.

I think it's a bacterial bloom, but I can't explain the GFO film everywhere.

It could be that your alk and ca were so high that you were causing precipitation upon introducing more ca and alk, as for the case of the disappearing GFO...my bet is on old man Whithers who runs the carnival...I am sure the members of Mystery Inc. can solve this caper.

Ok, so, my reactors are set up in parrallel. I believe that asmy other reactor of purigen/GAC became clogged, that it increased flow to the GFO. Over time, it reached a threshold where it just physically pulverized itself and leaked out. The timing with the high pH/alk drop may not be causative.