Did I make a mistake

dapettit

Last night we filled the tank with water and added the salt. I used 4 Koralia 4 to mix the salt. When I fired them up they made an awful racket. Kinda like a vibrating sound with has a low hum and every now in then will get loud. Did I screw them up by using them to mix the salt or is this normal? I bought them #1 for the amount of water movement they will provide in the 150 and also because they are supposed to be quite!!! :angry:

Dave-

I would take them out of the tank and clean them real well. I think it is possible some salt got into the magnetic part. I have read threads on other sites about those powerheads being loud. I thought the problem was resolved in the later generations(new shaft design). If the problem continues you should call Hydor.

As a personal caveat out #4s are dead silent.

it probably will not hurt them to leave them in. the salt should mix quickly enough. but do take them out and clean it. if sand by chance got in there it could damage the magnet. the salt i doubt would stay in crystal form long enough to scratch the magnet. the mixing will help disolve the salt faster.

Well, after several days of running the Koralia's all but one seems to have quieted down. I have not cleaned them yet. I guess there is a break in period. (I was looking for instant gratification.) When I clean them and the odd ball is still making noise I will probably return it.

The only time mine made noise was either when it was so close to the surface it sucked in water or for the first few seconds each time it was turned on especially when it was pointed down. Make sure the impeller shaft is in the hole on both ends too. Maybe you have a defective unit.