Wife's seahorse tank

Funkness

started by by buying a rimless 11.7 gallon tank from a person here on arc was going to use a hob overflow but after using it for a little while and doing some research decided that the tanks bottom wasn't tempered so i drilled it with a 3/4 drain and a 1/2 return had a custom overflow made got the bulk heads installed painted pvc so it couldn't be seen as well and well this is what i have so far currently doing a leak test

post-2536-0-66296400-1361923902_thumb.jp

post-2536-0-44115700-1361924037_thumb.jp

post-2536-0-55838800-1361924093_thumb.jp

great looking tank how do you tell if its tempered ? i have an old D.A.S. 75 with an internal over flow

Polarized sun glasses but u am not sure if this is a 100 percent or not not sure how ecactly it works but u can look it up on YouTube is where I think I saw it

You can use a laptop screen or polarized glasses to see if a pane is tempered. It's pretty obvious if you have good quality glasses. A laptop or really any LCD uses a polarizing filter. If you look at the screen through a tempered pane of glass, you will typically see a bunch of weird colors and patterns. With sunglasses you'll see color and light distortions.

One thing about looking online is that some of the manufacturers temper certain tanks in one size and don't temper other tanks of the same size. Example is all glass tanks usually aren't tempered in their smaller sizes. But, if you buy one of their kits with the filter and substrate and everything in the box, like you see at Walmart, they often are tempered on the bottom and the back. Always best to check.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived