does anyone use Neptune PM1 or PM2

I measure ORP, it's not really needed, but you can see if something died or the skimmer is not pulling or etc, because your ORP will go down. But I really don't pay attention to the actual level, just it's raising and falling. I would think salinity is not needed if you check it regularly with a hydrometer or refractometer. A recent pic from Mr. Saltwater tank showed his salinity probe sitting at 35 ppm, and him saying its the most boring graph on his tank.

Professionally speaking, ORP probes need more frequent calibration than pH probes to give you good data, and unless you're running ozone, it isn't really a great indicator of water quality. Like the juice said, just watching rising and falling. As for salinity, it's another parameter that's just going to give you a failsafe (i.e., OH CRAP I DUMPED ALL MY ATO WATER!). IMO, neither are worth the expense and calibration duties.

Same here. I have both and tend to ignore them partially because they have not been calibrated in a long time and partially because they rarely change. Good point Victoly on using salinity as a failsafe for a runaway ATO. I need to add that into my programming.

I use the PM2 for salinity, because my ATO adding limewater causes fluctuations. My PINPOINT Salinity Monitor drifted badly out of cal leading to very high salinity levels as I added salt. The two hydrometers I have are also unreliable and were poor choices for redundant/backup reading. So I got the PM2 to monitor DT temp and salinity with the original temperature probe and PINPOINT monitoring my sump as a redundant/backup monitor or sanity check. Here's my DT temperature and salinity (both from PM2) for the last week:

WeekOfSalinity_26FEB2013_zps36fbc6b1.jpg

Not exactly flat, but I want it to be. Some fluctuation is from temperature, some from ATO and a lot from a recent 25% water change and changing from IO RC to aquavitro salinity. As you can see, aquavitro salinity is more potent, so I overshot a bit. Now I'm pulling a little water out of the sump each day to allow the ATO to slowly drop the salinity. Adding more kalkwasser is a bonus. Once I get the conductivity to 53.0 mS/cm when the sump is full (ATO off due to float switches), then it should remain constant. But I'll probably keep tweaking it for pH/dKH/Ca with kalkwasser addition. My pH/dKH/Ca has been rock steady.

Archived