PLEASE HELP!!! putting the pieces together

ct67stang

hi, im in need of your expertice. i recently got a DIY led fixture with an apex jr controller and probes. i was hoping to just get home plug it in and at least see the lights kick on. i got it from a member that got it from another member here at ARC. i tried contacting the original seller but he got it from (if im not mistaken) someone at reef central doh.gif any way now i have it. the issue is that some wires are not connected. i didnt want to just randomly connect wires and cross my fingers. so im here desperately hoping you guys can help. ill post pics and you guys let me know if you need more pics or info. i thank you in advance. i know you guys will save me on this

.post-2984-0-43340400-1361337949_thumb.jp

post-2984-0-69838200-1361337960_thumb.jp

post-2984-0-57318900-1361337977_thumb.jp

post-2984-0-99279800-1361337993_thumb.jp

post-2984-0-41332600-1361338007_thumb.jp

post-2984-0-72895900-1361338020_thumb.jp

post-2984-0-84268500-1361338031_thumb.jp

post-2984-0-18945800-1361338048_thumb.jp

post-2984-0-18014500-1361338686_thumb.jp

post-2984-0-30241300-1361338707_thumb.jp

post-2984-0-86217300-1361338725_thumb.jp

post-2984-0-81513800-1361338744_thumb.jp

post-2984-0-73602300-1361338761_thumb.jp

one thing I do notice is these are dimming drivers but I dont see a VDM to control the input signal, does it have 10k pots for manual dimming or is the apex suppose to dim? I know the jr doesnt have a VDM built into the base unit and needs it added on in control chain.

yeah the loose blue and white wires coming out of the meanwell that has 4 wires out the side (other side has two wires out and thats for the power cord)

Those arent wired in to any dimmer which is what they are, dimming signal wires.

put 10 V in and they are on 100% put 0 V in they are off which is why they dont turn on when you powered up.

1V = 10% on 2V = 20% on and so forth.

just buy a VDM and the apex can control it, VDM is more expensive than the 10K pots but with 10 K pots you gotta manual dim and then whats the point of the apex to turn it on and off?

basically same exact setup thats running on my biocube. I can't tell up from down with the photos but if this showed up at the drink like a fish thursday I'd be willing to fiddle with it smile.png

i would love to go, light or no light but im working in oklahoma right now bye.gif

This might help you grasp what is going on in your photos.

http://www.vinnymarini.com/pictures/rapid_docs/Nano%20Retrofit%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf

if you need help and feel like coming north (well south based on where your currently at) I'll lend a hand.

GREAT! i will definitly take you up on that. ill be headed back next week. i really appreciate the help. this is very overwhelming for me, because its a dyi. (no manual)

sounds great bud, just be aware we might have to make a Frys run if you dont have a VDM to wire into the apex.

Maybe you can get that on order so we can make the whole system dim and on/off witht he apex?

If you want to manual dim then we can just hit fry's and grab the items we need or order it off amazon. LMK which route you want to take and I'll help you source out the items you need.

sounds great bud, just be aware we might have to make a Frys run if you dont have a VDM to wire into the apex.

Maybe you can get that on order so we can make the whole system dim and on/off witht he apex?

If you want to manual dim then we can just hit fry's and grab the items we need or order it off amazon. LMK which route you want to take and I'll help you source out the items you need.

im totally clueless to this controller (or any for that matter) i do have the manual and am amazed to its capabilities. id like to use the apex for it so ill get the vdm. but im also dying to see my tank in this lighting so would it be a good idea to get a pot from frys and then get the vdm(?) later unless frys carries it. ill grab it. what is the cost difference by the way. dont really know what a vdm is or if they have one in stock.

vdm is the dimming module sold by neptune systems.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/led-pumps-control-module-vdm-neptune-systems.html

it looks like 99 for the vdm.

10 K pots and a 10 V power supply will be much cheaper (about 1 buck for each 10 k pot and 1 buck for the power supply then a buck for a project box to secure it all in.

But to get sunrise/sunset you will be turning the knobs by hand each time and the apex will just turn the light on and off. You can leave it at 100% on and just turn on off with the apex. You just wont have a sunrise/sunset effect.

vdm is the dimming module sold by neptune systems.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/led-pumps-control-module-vdm-neptune-systems.html

it looks like 99 for the vdm.

10 K pots and a 10 V power supply will be much cheaper (about 1 buck for each 10 k pot and 1 buck for the power supply then a buck for a project box to secure it all in.

But to get sunrise/sunset you will be turning the knobs by hand each time and the apex will just turn the light on and off. You can leave it at 100% on and just turn on off with the apex. You just wont have a sunrise/sunset effect.

ok well for now (because as i said i want my coral to look AWESOMER) ill do the NOW route and use a pot. i'll let u know when ill be headed ur way. thanks again for ur help. and oozark vounteering for crowd control smile.png

VDMs are not compatible, but you can apparently use the older aquasurf module to achieve the same goal, with a few more intermediate steps:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1846903

ill bring this thread up to bio before we get drunk. but im sure hell probable beat me to it (the reading part not the drunk part)smile.png

Archived