Need some powerhead advice

joshman1204

I am looking to improve my flow in my 58 gallon reef. I am currently running a koralia 2 and a koralia 3 on opposite ends of the tank with a mag 9.5 return pointed at the center of the front glass. This creates a pretty decent random flow in the tank but I just cant seem to get it exactly like I want it. I have been looking at a tunze nano wavebox but not sure that is the route I want to go. I have a red sea wavemaster that I am not using so I also thought about getting 2 tunze 6025's or 2 of the newer koralia evolutions and putting them on the wave timer.

I really want an MP-40 but I have a kid and my wife has lots of other kids over for play dates and I could just see one of them grabbing the dry-side and jerking it off the tank. So until the kids are older the pumps have to stay in the tank :(

My kid would never do that ... she is 3 and loves the aquarium and knows not to touch it. The other heathens that come over to our house are always jacking with stuff. I had to put a cover over my DJ stip because they would constantly turn off switches. I dont know that they would grab the mp-40 but it is a $400 risk I am not willing to take.

Does the red sea wavemaster do a decent job with good pumps on it?

The great thing about any of the MP pumps is that if the wet side and dry side detach, nothing bad happens except you don't have flow. The wet side does drop to the sand bed, but it stops spinning. There's nothing external on the dry side to injure anyone/anything, and it's just spinning the same as it would if it were still on the tank.

Now if said heathen drops the dry side... not sure if anything would crack... Though I have to admit just the thought that a toddler could get anywhere near my tank without me there is pretty objectionable.

Kids will be kids guys, come on! As etannert mentioned no harm no foul if the dry side gets yanked off the tank, typically you secure the dry side to your tank to prevent drops. If I had to chose between a MP40 and a nano I would go with the nano wave box.

-brett

If the tank glass is less than 1/2" I'm sure the magnets will be strong enough to add the tape. My glass is 1/2" and my have pretty good attraction.

but wait...there's a round rubber gasket you put between the glass and dry side to avoid vibrations. the tape may not work.

Archived