Herbie Method

rollrok18

So I have been doing some research on how to silence my overflow box and I came across the Herbie method...Which is awesome. But, one must have 2 pipes in the overflow box to achieve it the way most people are doing it, or all I can find. Is there a way to achieve the same method with one pipe exiting the overflow box? For example, I have an eshopps pf-300 external overflow but it only has one pipe that exits to the sump. I am afraid to just run one pipe on full siphon without have another for back up in case of a clog and the aquarium overflowing. Anyone have any luck just running it with one pipe and want to bestow the information on to me?The only way around this would be to use an overflow with 2 bulkheads, which would be rated for a 200+ gallon tank on a 50 gallon, unless someone knows where to get a dual bulkhead overflow rated for smaller aquariums. Thanks in advance.

The herbie method uses two pipes and a gate valve on the main drain to control the water level in the overflow. I dont think it will work with an external overflow but I could be wrong.

I am using the herbie on my current setup and it works great but I cant figure out how it would apply to your situation. I have never used an external overflow before so I could be missing something though.

I would not run it with only one pipe. You'd be asking for a distaster. I have a bean animal drain on my 40 g system and if it wasn't for the 3rd emergency drain I would have had flood damage numerous times. I have my drains covered with eggcrate that is ziptied to the pipe preventing inhabitants from entering and clogging the pipes.. It does however, allow simple items such as macroalgea or snails to restrict flow quite a bit if caught up. This is where the emergency line comes to the rescue.

Archived