Anyone Switch Back to MH or T5s after Trying LEDs?

speer

I've had AI Sols on my tank for about a year now. Although I've seen decent growth, colors have faded a bit and my growth was better under LEDs. It's not that I dislike the LEDs. In fact I love the dimming ability and the lack of heat they produce. They are also incredibly quiet. I sometimes feel like I'm not maximizing the growth and colors in my tank. Just curious if anyone else after trying LEDs decided to switch back to MH or T5s?

Something to consider for those switching back is that the available colors of LEDs are changing, and if color is the issue, that blue/white isn't necessarily the best combo (can vouch, it's what I use and wish I had more of a red pop)

Definitely Yals problem is only having white and blue. I'm getting great colors ever since I add uv, green, and red to my spectrum. I have a blue acro that I've had for almost 8 months and in the last week, I started seeing pink tips!

I've had 3 different LED fixtures and am back to MH/T5. I had AI Sols, a DIY AI Sol and a multi-color DIY LED fixture (blue, white, green, red, UV). I could never get the growth and color out of my SPS like I can when I blast them with 250w of MH. I really liked the savings on LEDs, the reduced heat (although my heater ran more often), and the ability to dim the LEDs, I just wish I could get the growth/color.

What we need here is someone with an established SPS tank who ran MH or T5s and had amazing colors to start with, then switch to LED and had the same result or even better with LED as far as growth and coloration is considered.

I know most are newer to SPS, including myself, and went straight to LED or quickly went to LED so haven't really seen first hand stable coloration from other technologies over their tank besides LED.

Closest comparison I have is the showtank at aquatek. I thought it was stunning when they ran just MH but when they switched to LED, I was far less impressed. I don't know if they had other spectrums like the reds, UV, and green in their LEDs but I did not like the look of the tank after they switched.

I would have liked to have seen Tim's tank (wizard) with LEDs over it (longterm... not just really quick). He had amazing coloration and he used a combo of 400 watt MH and T5.

Didn't someone like Don Duncan or someone else who had a great SPS collection switch from MH to LED within the last year? Wonder how their tank looks now. I just remember someone had their tank half lit with LED s and the other half with MHs for a brief transition period before fully going LED.

-Ty

What we need here is someone with an established SPS tank who ran MH or T5s and had amazing colors to start with, then switch to LED and had the same result or even better with LED as far as growth and coloration is considered.

I know most are newer to SPS, including myself, and went straight to LED or quickly went to LED so haven't really seen first hand stable coloration from other technologies over their tank besides LED.

Closest comparison I have is the showtank at aquatek. I thought it was stunning when they ran just MH but when they switched to LED, I was far less impressed. I don't know if they had other spectrums like the reds, UV, and green in their LEDs but I did not like the look of the tank after they switched.

I would have liked to have seen Tim's tank (wizard) with LEDs over it (longterm... not just really quick). He had amazing coloration and he used a combo of 400 watt MH and T5.

Didn't someone like Don Duncan or someone else who had a great SPS collection switch from MH to LED within the last year? Wonder how their tank looks now. I just remember someone had their tank half lit with LED s and the other half with MHs for a brief transition period before fully going LED.

-Ty

Don had great colors when he switched, if not better, but his tank crashed a few months ago so there goes that.

I used to run MH and had good color and growth. But I blasted them with the 400w when I switched tanks and killed them so I can't compare really. I can show you the Birdsnest and Pocciapore that I had then and now. I'll look for some pics when I get home.

I had awesome growth and colors with an old 8 bulb nova extreme before I purchased two 48 bulb led kits from rapid led. I set them in a pattern similar to the AI sols and set them to work. Big waste of money. Almost all my sps started to bleach over several months and I finally went back to T5 and MH. My corals have come back even better than just with the T5s. In my opinion, led lights don't have what it takes to grow sps. For zoas and other softies you would be fine. Hope it helps.

Archived