Clam dying? Wide open?!

Juiceman

Looks like a goner. Any pyramidal snail's evident in the area?

Im looking a getting a clam,what kind of snails specifically are you talking about? I want to make sure I give mine the best chance.

Sent from my hacked HP Touchpad running Android ICS using Tapatalk.

The 1 is saw on mine was a cerith snail. I have a lot of other small 1's that I think can do it as well. I just looked it up, and from what I found any small snail is a clam killer. Snails like the turbo and margarita seem to be fine. I was thinking of getting another 1, because Rory had mention putting a top from cool whip underneath its foot to prevent it; but I think I have too many small snails to take anothe chance. I love clams, so kind of a bummer. They add so much to tanks.

I meant to say whelk's above, whelk's resemble nassarius s but have a painted snout. Once something is on the way out you will find pretty much everything taking advantage of a free meal so finding something snacking does not mean that particular animal is the culprit. Here's a pic of a whelk snail. http://www.melevsreef.com/id/whelk.html

Cheers,

First off I am sorry to hear that you lost your clam, that really stinks. It always sucks to lose livestock.

Just out of curiosity when you removed the clam form your tank, did you check the underside for Pyramid snails? They are tiny little guys that can definetly kill a clam if they are left untreated. IMO You may want to check your other clam just to be sure that this is not an issue in your tank.

Also just to add IMHO I don't think that cerith snails would kill a healthy clam, if they were on it again IMO the clam was most likely on it's way out and they were just doing their job. The reason I say this is because I have 3 clams in my tank and a plethora of both dwarf and regular cerith snails and they don't bother my clams. However I did have a similar situation with my first ever clam, where I woke up one morning to find my CUC had devoured the poor guy. Again I think he was on his way out and the CUC was just doing their job.

How big was it? Small clams have small success. Also, I have been reading that different clams have some access on their foot that can allow cuc to get in. This causes irritation that eventually kills the clam.

• 4 weeks later...

Update, I think it was my Koran Angel that found a liking for the Deresa clam. I saw him nipping at it while it was dying so I didn't think much of it, but i've since caught him nipping my new croceas so i'm pretty sure it was him that stressed out the Deresa. He has since been evicted.