Good idea, Bad Idea?

AndrewT

Ive had my 75g tank up for about 3 weeks now tank is cycled, but my water has been super milky. All params are in check but the water would not clear. Im using this cpr skimmer, but havent had any luck. So today I got some carbon filter pads and a media sponge to add to the return chamber. Anyone care to chime in on suggestions or whether this is even gonna help?

post-641-0-35037100-1356933223_thumb.jpg

Edited by AndrewT

do you have any mechanical filtration to pull it out if it's sand particulates vs a bloom?

+1 on the sand since you used the term "milky". What kind of sand are you using? Before you put it in the tank did you rinse it with fresh water until the water ran clear?

If it is a bloom, I always think of them as a response to an imbalance and look to correct the imbalance first instead of fighting the bloom. For example I had some Cyano break out in my tank recently and quickly determined that my nutrient levels were too high. I could have wiped it out quickly with a chemical treatment but instead I've been working on reducing the nutrients that feed it to starve it out.

It would be helpful if you listed your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and include what test kits you used to get them.

All ammonia nitrate, nitrites are at 0. Salinity is .026 ph 8.5. I have caribbean sugar sand in the tank. It was washed and sifted before it was purchased. I had been using stability when I started up the tank as well as when I added livestock. Could it possibly be a bloom due to over dosing stability?

I think it would be possible that it is a bloom of some sort. Wether or not it was from overdosing Stability or not, I can't say. Try doing a smaller water change and monitor the parameters closely. Also, like everyone else has already said, make sure there aren't any pumps blowing sand around.

I have two k3s pointed up at the surface. Ill do a water change today and lay off the stability and see what happens. As far as the media in the skimmer... Any thoughts on that?