distance of lights to water

99taws6

This really depends on your setup. What type of T5's are you running? Single reflectors or a Module?

Are these Supplimental lighting or are you planning on just T5's?

Same question with the MH.

What watt, and reflectors?

the reason it matters right is because it has to do with how hot the water gets right? More so than the light not being at a good angle? t-5 does not get too hot, but Mh does. So those should be higher with better air circulation.

Why would it matter for t-5 then how high it is over the tank? unless you wanted to be sure less light is lost from reflection?

Well I am going to light my tank primarily with T'5's as the MH's I had were way to hot for what I wanted and I didn't have the money to supplement with T5's and keep the MH's.. That is why I am looking for a trade for my stuff. I don't grow enough in my tank to warrant me keeping the MH"s instead of T5's

I have been told 9" from water surface for MH's, mine were at 10" and I am planning on my T'5's being about 6" from the surface.. How does this sound?

T5s are higher output than normal fluorescents. The reason T5s should be closer to the water than MHs is they don't have the depth penetration that a MH does. So the closer to the water the deeper the light penetrates your tank. The better the reflector the more efficient your bulbs will be.