Auto top-off

KarenM

OK, I've ordered both the top-off and the aqua lifter. I'm going to start with a 20-25 gal trashcan (kitchen sized) because it will fit better behind the door and I'm too scared of the 55 gal of water rushing into my living room :D

It will be hard to have my input (sump?) higher than the drum. I could run the tubing over the top of the return hoses and then into the sump, since they're up pretty high.

Do I still need a float valve?

I got my top-off up and running. I have the tubing coming from the barrel , around the corner, then stuck on the back of the tank witha little suction cup about 30" high, and then back down to the sump. Hopefully that'll stop and gravity issues. I have a black background on there right now so you don't see the tubing stuck there. I'm so excited about this - no more crawling under there to add water to the sump, and hopefully my skimmer will be a little more cooperatvie.

I also got a good grip on the micro-bubbles by rubberbanding one of those filter pads that "polish the water" onto the end of each nozzle. For the most part, the water is clear. There are still some minute particles floating around in there, but I think that's because I bumped a rock. I can just hear Gabriel saying those pads are nitrate factories :angry: , but at least I can see my fish.

I've got a gravity problem. :doh: The tubing starts about 24" from the bottom of the barrel. From there it goes up to the pump which is hanging on a nail about 6" above the barrel. Then the tubing goes down to the floor, then up to about 36" above the ground (where it's suctioned to the back of the tank), then down into the sump. There's plenty of extra tubing, so about 15" of it is floating in the barrel and another 12" or so is on the floor before it's raised up to the back of the tank.

How do I solve the gravity issue?

I used a small section of pvc and ran the hose through it to keep it at the bottom of the barrel. In the sump it doesn't really matter as long as the hose won't fall out of the sump all together.

Do this for the barrel. Not sure I understand the 12" problem. Can't you cut it shorter?

I can cut it, but I was thinking that if there was some extra tubing floating on the water and level, it would be better gravity-wise than if the tubing ran straight. Same with the extra tubing on the floor. But now that I actually type it, it sounds stupid. I guess it just seems like all the extra tubing would guarantee no flow unless the pump was on. The pump came on and went off at the right time but when I checked the sump again hours later the water was way too high and still flowing.

I can get some PVC, but I don't understand how that would be different than what I have. Your PVC is just lying on the bottom, right? I don't want mine laying on the bottom just yet, because I'm afraid there'll be a problem and I won't be home to catch it. It's attached to the side of the barrel with a suction cup, about 12" down from the water line.