Zoas changing colors?

kmacc05

Is it normal for zoas to change color?

I have some what I think are watermelon zoas and since I've had them some have turned green kind of like what radioactive dragon eye zoas look like. I have also noticed week to week, that the number of green versus the number of watermelon ones will change. I don't know if this is from new ones growing or from them changing color over and over. The colony hasn't seemed to be growing that fast (although I have noticed growth) to have such a sudden change in color. I will try and take a few pics of certain heads throughout a few weeks to try and document what I'm noticing. But has anyone else noticed this type of thing happen with zoas? I'm not 100% sure it's happening, but the ratio does seem to be changing.

Ahh, it's normal for corals to change thier flourescing and chromoprotiens to adapt to changes to the light field, either differences in spectrum or intensity or both. If your zoas are looking healthy and reproducing that would be my guess here.

They are looking healthy and reproducing for sure. I just find it odd that the complete heads would change colors off and on. What if I were to get some really high end ones, would they have a chance at completely changing?

I'd say yes, mushrooms do the same thing. I have a strain that are bright green under my metal halides at home, but are more of an orange with a green sheen under the LEDs with my pico. Zoas are notorious for this.