Taking the plunge - 105G FOWLR (eventual reef tank)

Deinonych

Hi all,

I recently joined this forum and look forward to learning from everyone here. After researching for the past 6-7 months, I've now begun to piece together my first saltwater tank. Below is my equipment list and eventual stocking plan. Am I missing anything? Will start posting pics once things start getting put together.

Equipment:

Aquarium: DSA 105G (48x24x21)

Stand: DSA stand for 105G tank

Lighting (FOWLR): Marineland Doublebright 48" LED (will eventually replace with reef-capable LEDs down the road)

Powerheads: (2) Tunze 6045 or 6095 (depending on initial budget, may go with one of each for starters)

Skimmer: Reef Octopus NWB150

Sump/refugium: Trigger Systems CRYS36

Sump return pump: Eheim 1262

Heater: Finnex Titanium w/Finnex controller

Test kits: pH, NH3, NO2, NO3, PO4

Refractometer: Marine Depot Refractometer

RO/DI: BRS 5-Stage Chloramine 75GPD

Dry Rock: 100lbs BRS Reef Saver (will use Dr. Tim's One and Only to seed)

Substrate: 75lbs CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade

Salt Mix: Instant Ocean Sea Salt Mix

QT Setup - 20G aquarium w/HOB filter

Stock Plan (in order of introduction)

Diamond Watchman Goby (V. puellaris)

Red Firefish (N. decora)

Pair of Percula Clownfish (A. percula)

Blue Chromis (C. cyaneus)

Orchid Dottyback (P. fridmani)

Filamented Flasher Wrasse (P. filamentosus)

Kole's Tang (C. strigosus)

Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish (F. flavissimus)

Appreciate any comments or insight. Thanks!

Good luck. Your definately starting out with a lot more than what I did when I started out with a FOWLR.

I would suggest buying a couple lbs. of Live Rock either off the for sale section or through craigslist. Although the Dr. Tim's will provide you with the biological portion it will not provide you with the diverse life that real LR provides.

I also wouldn't suggest getting the tunze nano for that big of a tank. I didn't have any pumps on mine for almost a year.

Here's my build thread if your interested http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/16238-taking-it-to-the-next-level/

Looks like a great start. +1 to adding some live rock to seed the dry rock. Dr. Tim's is great for conditioning the water but you'll still want some of the various critters that live rock can provide.

I'd look at a Tunze Nano Wavebox. You'll absolutely love the effect on the 100g tank!

Thanks! I'll look into seeding the tank with some live rock. How is the LR at Austin Aqua Dome? I noticed they had some Fiji LR in the holding tank on the ground floor.

Also, why do you not suggest the Tunze powerheads? Roger over at Tunze recommended the 6095s (or one 6045 + one 6095) for my tank size. The 6095 provides enough adjustable flow to take me from FOWLR to SPS once I'm ready.

Edited by Deinonych

Ah, understand. Roger echoed that...said the 6045s would be maxed out in a 3ft 60G. Probably will bite the bullet and get two 6095s.

I'll check out the LR post. I've already ordered the dry rock, so will likely just pick up a few LR pieces to seed it.

You don't need to buy both right away since you are starting FOWLR but you should look into a 6055 so when you do get 2 you can control them.

I looked at the 6055s initially, but Roger @ Tunze recommended I step up to the 6095 so I have enough headroom for SPS down the road. The 6095s are controllable as well. My only concern about getting one powerhead to start is that it might create dead spots for detritus to build up.

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I posted. I purchased my tank from Aquatek in early December, and spent most of December ordering equipment, rock and substrate. I plumbed the overflow using the BeanAnimal method, and it's super-quiet. Filled the tank a few weeks ago, and it's nearly fully cycled - probably a few more days until I have enough bacterial colonization to drop 2ppm NH4 to zero in 24 hours.

Also got my quarantine up and running and cycled over the past few weeks. Added my first fish yesterday - a N. magnifica (red firefish). Will post pictures soon.