I cannot get my white balance right for tank pictures!!!

Capt. Obvious

The absolute best way to get it right is to shoot in RAW(NEF in Nikon speak) and color correct in post processing. It's the only thing that gets it right. Trust me, I've been trying for years to get it right and only after downloading a RAW converter for GIMP have I got it down.

When you set a custom, did you shoot something white under the current lights? I used a styrofoam plate inside the tank, but it didn't get 100% correct.

The absolute best way to get it right is to shoot in RAW(NEF in Nikon speak) and color correct in post processing. It's the only thing that gets it right. Trust me, I've been trying for years to get it right and only after downloading a RAW converter for GIMP have I got it down.

When you set a custom, did you shoot something white under the current lights? I used a styrofoam plate inside the tank, but it didn't get 100% correct.

I always shoot RAW (which helps) I tried doing the "shoot something white" to set white balance but kept getting "cannot measure" messages

I have been playing in gimp and the best I can seem to get is below...and it isn't too horrible...just the orange is much brighter IRL:

post-771-0-50535700-1353001243_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived