mp40 for corner tank

ct67stang

i have a 50 gal corner tank and was looking into getting an mp40 for it. will this work well on a curved corner tank? any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i have a small pond pump and a fluval 305 canister filter that are pushing water around at the moment. already ordered a fluval 406 for the same issue (more flow) thanks.

here's an old pic with the pump at the back corner

post-2984-0-00314500-1352912192_thumb.jp sorry for the blurry pic. but its just to see the size of small pump. there's alot more lr now so you cant see it as good

you may have issues with the shape of the tank and whether or not you're going to get acceptable flow patterns. I have no doubt that an MP40 could produce sufficient flow for at least part of the tank, but what I would be nervous of is whether or not you'd have to really crank that puppy up to get flow across the entire tank, and in doing so create a sandstorm on the side of the tank where the pump is located. perhaps you can borrow someones MP40 on the forum to test it out.

I have the same shaped tank, but it is the 92g. I love the idea of the MP40 (power on the out side etc., don't like the price) but I went with the Hydor 1400. I currently have the Hydor in the upper corner flat side (right next to the start of the bowed front), it is adjusted to point kind of back away from the bowed front. Sorry I don't have a pic of it. My return actually has a good bit of flow and I have a hydor swirl on it, so in it's rotation it breaks up the 1400's flow a little. If needed I'll add another hydor on the opposite side.

I'm just at the end of my tank cycle so nothing in there yet to really see the flow patterns.

I have an mp40 on a 90 "cube" and it is a beast, I had a mp 10 on a 30 gallon half-round and had a good wave going...so...it is a possibility it could work

do you suggest i maybe go with an mp10 or 20 then? it would also help my wallet a bit.

I have the same shaped tank, but it is the 92g. I love the idea of the MP40 (power on the out side etc., don't like the price) but I went with the Hydor 1400. I currently have the Hydor in the upper corner flat side (right next to the start of the bowed front), it is adjusted to point kind of back away from the bowed front. Sorry I don't have a pic of it. My return actually has a good bit of flow and I have a hydor swirl on it, so in it's rotation it breaks up the 1400's flow a little. If needed I'll add another hydor on the opposite side.

I'm just at the end of my tank cycle so nothing in there yet to really see the flow patterns.

ill look into this hydor. im just trying to get rid of dead spots in the tank. doesnt have to be the mp40. thanks

ive seen lots of wave makers on ebay going for cheap $20-$30 800gpm some more gpms if i remember right any thoughts on these

heres the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Circulation-Pump-Wave-Maker-1600-GPH-Aquarium-Reef-Powerhead-Magnetic-Mount-/261034059229?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc6d7a5dd

On their website (ecotech marine), they have a sweet system where you can plug in your tank dimensions and if it is bowfront, etc. and it will recommend what model to use to give appropriate flow for either SPS or LPS.

that sounds like its exactly what i need ill look into that when i get off work to take measurements..GREAT thanks

Sorry I just re-read my post, and missed the main reason the Vortech MPs don't seem like they would work for this tank. It's the last of flow direction adjustment. I went with the hydor (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hydor-koralia-evolution.html - 1400 GPH) but any left/right adjustable would probably work for you.

Archived