LED lighting - what do I need to know?

mrshall1027

I just heard about LED lighting and I'm trying to figure out what type of set up would work well on my tank. I've looked around some, but haven't read any articles yet that state what specifications I should be looking for based on size of the tank. Does anyone have a source they can refer me to?

I've seen the Marineland LED fixtures, but I'm a bit skeptical because the price just seems too good to be true. Anyone have any input on these?

I wouldn't get marine land unless you are doing fish only with no coral. They aren't high output I don't think. My corals like my evolutions, AI is nice, and Radions are on sale right now. See what you need for your tank size

I got a marineland LED fixture that was hyped as acceptable for reefs and was very dissappointed, a couple of ecoxotic stingers or Current USA strips with similar wattage would be a better choice. The radion mentioned above is a really nice fixture and has a combination of colors. What I would avoid is any fixture that only used 2 or 3 colors and you definitely want something that includes some reds. Like Bio mentioned Builmyled.com is a sponser and they have some very nice fixtures. What size tank are you wanting to light up and what type of animals are you wanting to get?

Does anybody know if Aquadome has a tank with buildmyled fixtures yet?

I have a 75g and I would like to house both lps and sps. I want a fixture that I will be happy with and won't need to replace in the next year or two. Buildmyled.com looks like the perfect place to go through. Although, I'm still not sure what specifications I need.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

If your going to do SPS then you will need some higher end LED. The DIY kits are cheaper but if your not a hands on kinda person, then they are not for you. Aqua Illumination kits are not cheap, but they are plug and play. I had a 52 CREE DIY kit that could grow anything and I had to turn them way down or they would nuke my corals. Cree makes a fine diode....Im actually going to order some more for a pico tank Im working on.

Yeah, I don't think I want to tackle a DIY option at the moment, but thanks for the info on that.

So, after looking into some of the recommendations, I am interested in seeing what BuildmyLED.com has to offer. I've sent an inquiry, so hopefully I'll have some info from them soon. Has anyone bought a fixture from them and if so, what are your thoughts?

I am also looking at getting two of the Evolution Evo50 units. Any other thoughts or info on these?

I got a marineland LED fixture that was hyped as acceptable for reefs and was very dissappointed, a couple of ecoxotic stingers or Current USA strips with similar wattage would be a better choice. The radion mentioned above is a really nice fixture and has a combination of colors. What I would avoid is any fixture that only used 2 or 3 colors and you definitely want something that includes some reds. Like Bio mentioned Builmyled.com is a sponser and they have some very nice fixtures. What size tank are you wanting to light up and what type of animals are you wanting to get?

Does anybody know if Aquadome has a tank with buildmyled fixtures yet?

I own a buildmyled.com fixture. I saw it in person at aquatek and i think they also showed it at the dome.... not sure if either site has one running yet.

I personally am blown away with my buildmyled 48inch strip. so impressed witht he light output and everything that I could eassily use them to start lighting my garage work spaces and my other rooms when I decide to upgrade those areas.

Hall, if you remember where I live you are welcome to swing by and look at the led in person. I wont have it over a tank for another 2 weeks but I plan to do a full review with photos, already took photos of the unboxing process and the light on right away smile.png

After going on their tour and dealing with them in person and emails they are one of my go to guys!

Bio, great info! Thanks! How long did it take to get the unit in? And what specs did you go with if you don't mind me asking? My week has started off pretty busy, but if I have some extra time in the next day or two, it would be great to stop by and look at your light! Thanks again!

Bio, great info! Thanks! How long did it take to get the unit in? And what specs did you go with if you don't mind me asking? My week has started off pretty busy, but if I have some extra time in the next day or two, it would be great to stop by and look at your light! Thanks again!

I chose to get the custom reef spectrum that is on their website. After seeing a few different ones in person over the tank I agreed with Bruce(who built the spectrum on the custom reef) and the dome also agreed it was the right spectrum.

I ordered my light before the company launched, my build time frame is different than what everyone else will have. Since I ordered so early I had to wait for a few parts to arrive from the suppliers. I know orders are now rolling off the "press" in no time at all. Don't quote me on it but I'd say they have no more than 48 hour turn around now.

Ok Bio - these guys need to put you on their payroll! I just ordered my fixture after hearing back from Nick. I am hoping to be able to pick it up by the end of the week and will post pics when it comes in. Super excited!!

Archived