tips on some lighting?????

offroadodge

So my tank is a 72 gallon bow front (48"L x 23"H x 18"W<---at bow) i presently have a 48" PC dual actinics and day light 4x65W, and another PC at front of bow 20" coralife PC 50/50 4 bulbs, 2 white, 2 actinics, 90W. I have probly around 61-65 gallons of actual water, so it equates to 5-5.38 watts PG. Ive been wanting to change to MHs and this past weekend my father gave me a 400w ballast and 1 mogul socket. Wanting to know about how i can make it work. Building a hood ETC is NO problm, fans to vent no problm(brother works at DELL) wiring for multiple lights no problm. Any sugestions???? want 3 bulbs iff possbl, like maybe

10,000k-------------14,000k------------10,000k is this possbl??????

Would it work with my tank? some LPS,SPS, mushrooms, fish etc.

A 400w bulb is going to cook that small of a tank IMO. I would run a 14k bulb on the blue side (not all 14k's are created equal) or maybe just go with a 20k and run it all by itself, or if you do run the PC's run them before and after the halide with a little overlap. I had heat issues with a single 250w over my 70g (granted only one fan) so I think you will need a really good cooling solution.

ATO?? whats this. i want to keep my stony corals all vibrant. is the wattage i have enuff? Just think that to keep the bright flourescent greens and yellows etc, i need more. Right now the PCs are atop the tank like sitting on glass cover. The temp runs around 78-80. B4 when they were elevated above tank the temp was to low. i keep the house temp at 74ish, that seems to help alot also. just tryn to figure out some useage for MH ballast.

I agree with james on the 14k Reeflux. Nice bulb.

If you like the blue look, the XM 20k can't be beat. I used to propagate SPS with the 400w XM 20k over the tub and the colors were mindblowing. But it is VERY blue, very fluorescent.

so i guess that i have a few options, i realy like the blue hue but heard that stonys need a whiter light to actually grow(no look good). where could i pick up such a bulb? XM20K etc what is XM? wish i could contact someone via phone etc to realy get an idea on ATO and possbly look at someones setup. So many diffrnt things out there. Im farely new to the board but live at 183A and 1431. may have some filter questions also. any help would be good. 512-971-1925 Jeremy

if anyone likes EBAY, check out this light, is it good. Item number: 160171237263 .Also what about having 2 bulbs, ReefLux 175W 175 Watts 12,000K Metal Halide SE Lamp, ReefLux 175W 175 Watts 10,000K Metal Halide SE Lamp

Edited by offroadodge

James, thak you VERY much for talking to me. I and going to try n get my parents old sump setup with skimmer, refg, and pump. THE WORKS. Get rid of the XP2. I got a bulb 2day from AQUATEC (14000K-400wSPS) I had to fire it up and see the color,WOW crazy rich in color with a nice blue hue, might have to make PCs daylight to wash the blue out a bit. Again thank you. May need help fig out sump system and all, tank isnt drilled. Ill keep in touch. here is a pic of the beginings of a hood. newlights001.jpg