coral ID and spider web looking stuff

kmacc05

So i got this coral tonight that looks to me like a monti but the guy at aquatek called it something different. I cant remember what he called it. Any idea? Also it has this spider web like stuff on it now. Is it bad? It wasnt on it at the store.

x9TET.jpeg

Edited by JamesL
Fixed link to the picture (was missing the colon after http).

Sorry i cant figure out how to post the pic from my tablet. Should be able to copy that url and open it in a new window i hope

Edit imgur.com/x9TET

Try that one sorry

Edited by kmacc05

Undata ? There are several montipora species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesnt sound like what he said. But he said it was still a type of lps. Isnt monti sps? He also said it would grow in a plate form and kind of spiral.

That's a scroll coral, also called a ridge coral, ruffled coral, turbinaria, and cup coral. It will plate and scroll in a very pretty pattern. Moderate grower, not particularly aggressive.

Thank you!!! That is what he called it, Scroll lmao I just couldn't remember it by the time I got home. So now the question, is it an SPS or LPS??

It is an lps.

You need to toothpick that vermitid. Their "nets" aggravate the snot out of corals, and cause tissue recession. Jab a toothpick into his hole, then pull the toothpick out and superglue his hole shut.

They killed part of my red planet, and are no longer allowed to exist in my tank.

Edited by Sherita

ok, this morning they weren't there anymore. From what I was able to read, the "nets" were out for feeding because I was moving rocks around and debris was floating around. I'll keep an eye on them and if they come back out, I will take action to them. I noticed a few of the tubes were on the bottom and got covered by the DD Epoxy that I used to stick it to the rock. Will those be suffocated or will they be able to grow out of the epoxy? I'm glad they were gone this morning.

There ae 11 species of Turbinaria and they are usually labeled LPS by hobbyests but keep in mind there is no scientific validity to the terms SPS and LPS nor is it a valid indicator of how a coral should be maintaned in captivity. I found it quite interesting to read about vermatid snails irritating corals. I have them literally in every tank and have never seen any of my corals irritated by them. Unless there is very obvious reaction by a coral specifically to the slime strings I would not bother with them.