Is the BRS high cap. GFO worth it?

scubasteve92

from RC "I used both BRS HC GFO and their pelletized GFO.

I used a hana meter to measure the phospahte level each week.

From my experience, the HC GFO lasted 1.5 weeks longer than the pelletized GFO.

So in my tank I change the HC GFO at 3.5 weeks vs about 2 weeks for pelletized GFO, just to keep my PO4 level down at 0.02."

Sounds like it just gets the phosphate down faster, but calcium carbonate may foul it before you can realize the benefits of having it come down that fast. Consensus seemed to be buy the cheaper stuff and replace more frequently.

"I have found it to actually work much faster and IMO better. And when you do the math its really not that much money. Most other GFO like ROWAphos is much more expensive, and doesn't work as well IME. I guess the regular GFO from BRS is cheaper, and I have never used it, but I was so happy with the HC I never saw a reason to. "

"If I remember correctly, the high capacity is about 1.5 times better at removing phosphate. The cost difference is close to 2x. wink.gif

You will need to change out the lower capacity GFO more often. When one has a high phosphate reading, the HC GFO will reduce it quicker. Once your phosphate level is down to the recommended level, the HC GFO may be wasted. wink.gif"

I am setting up a GFO reactor and would like anyone's opinion about if paying more for the high capacity GFO vs. the normal is worth it.

Thanks for any input,

Josh

yes it is worth a spend compare to the regular, if u have a high phosphate n like to keep it down, might need a good test kit to monitor weekly before it gone to ZERO... DISASTER.

from RC "I used both BRS HC GFO and their pelletized GFO.

I used a hana meter to measure the phospahte level each week.

From my experience, the HC GFO lasted 1.5 weeks longer than the pelletized GFO.

So in my tank I change the HC GFO at 3.5 weeks vs about 2 weeks for pelletized GFO, just to keep my PO4 level down at 0.02."

Sounds like it just gets the phosphate down faster, but calcium carbonate may foul it before you can realize the benefits of having it come down that fast. Consensus seemed to be buy the cheaper stuff and replace more frequently.

"I have found it to actually work much faster and IMO better. And when you do the math its really not that much money. Most other GFO like ROWAphos is much more expensive, and doesn't work as well IME. I guess the regular GFO from BRS is cheaper, and I have never used it, but I was so happy with the HC I never saw a reason to. "

"If I remember correctly, the high capacity is about 1.5 times better at removing phosphate. The cost difference is close to 2x. wink.gif

You will need to change out the lower capacity GFO more often. When one has a high phosphate reading, the HC GFO will reduce it quicker. Once your phosphate level is down to the recommended level, the HC GFO may be wasted. wink.gif"

Thanks! I am very confused.. but I think I am going to go with the normal gfo.. save the money buy high amount and with also running biopellets it should keep them low, also I do a 10% water change every week or two so, testing and keeping up with that can just be another thing to do saturday mornings grin.png

I am setting up a GFO reactor and would like anyone's opinion about if paying more for the high capacity GFO vs. the normal is worth it.

Thanks for any input,

Josh

yes it is worth a spend compare to the regular, if u have a high phosphate n like to keep it down, might need a good test kit to monitor weekly before it gone to ZERO... DISASTER.

I am ordering a hanna checker for that in the same order! thumbsup.gif

I have run both and on my tanks and my changout schedule is right at the 2 month mark and even then my level's are below 0.05ppm. The HC gfo will bring your level's down faster using less but do be carefull bringing down really high level's too fast, sps really do not like that.smile.png

Cheers,

doh.gif we just did group buy at BRS and we ordered in HC GFO. we ended up getting 1.75 Lb per person in the group buy for $36.

If you end up using the HC let me know so I can put you on my list of people to check with when we do another bulk order. I typically get the GFO in from BRS in a large container and then weigh it all out and vacuum seal it for everyone. This keeps it stored longer, and cuts everyones cost. I often have an empty GAC container laying around also and can send people home with it in that if they request.

I'll add you to the list victoly. Next BRS groupbuy that happens I'll find people to go in on bulk amounts of HC GFO like last time so we get bulk discount and GB discount makes it super cheap. and when it's vacuum sealed I dont mind buying and storing some extra.

I'll add you to the list victoly. Next BRS groupbuy that happens I'll find people to go in on bulk amounts of HC GFO like last time so we get bulk discount and GB discount makes it super cheap. and when it's vacuum sealed I dont mind buying and storing some extra.

SIGN ME UP TOO!! I will get the normal one right now so that it reduces my phos levels slower and then once another group buy comes around ill jump in for the HC.

SIGN ME UP TOO!! I will get the normal one right now so that it reduces my phos levels slower and then once another group buy comes around ill jump in for the HC.

Don't be mistaken, the regular GFO can bring the level's down pretty fast also. The best approach is to measure your tank level's before adding, then start out with 1/3 the recommended amount. Check the effluent level daily to see how much it's dropping, if need be you can add a bit more later in order to slowly reach your desired level. As always YMMV.smile.png

Cheers,

Don't be mistaken, the regular GFO can bring the level's down pretty fast also. The best approach is to measure your tank level's before adding, then start out with 1/3 the recommended amount. Check the effluent level daily to see how much it's dropping, if need be you can add a bit more later in order to slowly reach your desired level. As always YMMV.smile.png

Cheers,

Ok, cool. I can do that! Thank you! That is good to know. With my 20g display w/ 10g sump, the amount of GFO needed should be very mniscule.

Cheers,

Ok, cool. I can do that! Thank you! That is good to know. With my 20g display w/ 10g sump, the amount of GFO needed should be very mniscule.

You may be better using lanthanum chloride initially if you have a large phosphate concentration and less of the gfo later to maintain low level's, super cheap and very powerful, if I didn't travel as much I would be using it on a timed dosing pump periodically along with my gfo but that would be overkill and pretty much pointless. Definately read up before going that route because it can reduce pretty high level's in a matter of hours, leslies pool supply has it. I wouldn't use it for lower level maintanence. The important thing is to see where you are at first then formulate a plan of attack.

Cheers,

bimmerz,

Can you link to something discussing lathium chloride? I goggled it and all the search hits I get aren't helpful. They consist of people recommending it bu never coming back and telling a good mixture or how to administer.

Thanks

Something people should be aware of, with respect to GFO, is that if you are running carbon, that if the carbon is not high quality that it has phosphate leaching potential. To be sure you're not introducing PO4 via your carbon, you need to soak it in RO and change daily until you have a zero reading for phosphate.

Something people should be aware of, with respect to GFO, is that if you are running carbon, that if the carbon is not high quality that it has phosphate leaching potential. To be sure you're not introducing PO4 via your carbon, you need to soak it in RO and change daily until you have a zero reading for phosphate.

wonder if this even happens with the BRS rox GAC. I should soak some and check.