New camera

Jimbo662

The camera is just a tool. One has to know how to use it to get great photos.

Yes, a DSLR will take better pics than a point and shoot. But to get great photos like you see, you have to have a basic grasp of photography basics.

That said, go to Precision Camera to buy it. You can handle a camera at Walmart, Target, Best Buy etc, but support a local shop that will give you solid advice and back it up with service. Kinda like going to a LFS vs Petco.

A 'good' setup, new, will run you ~$600 and will include the body plus a basic lens or two. A macro lens, used, will run $3-600 and will get you those fancy close ups you see all over the web.

I personally like Nikon but you cant go wrong with any of the major brands.

Agreed. I bought a Nikon D5100 with the 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses, polarized doodads and all that what not. I still use my iPhone because I'm in over my head with it and don't want to invest the time to learn that jazz yet. The camera doesn't make you take better pics.

5u5e2y8y.jpg

IPhone or Nikon?

iPhone....

-Ben-

The biggest difference that I've found in taking quick pictures is simply the quality in low light of a camera with a large sensor compared to a phone or a point and shoot. In low light, like actinic only, pictures will be extremely pixelated with a lower end camera or phone. In good lighting, an iphone or decent phone will look reasonably good.

Definitely check out the link in this thread: http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/22098-trying-to-figure-out-what-camera-to-buy/

If I were going to buy a camera, sensor size is pretty much the biggest factor for me. Megapixels is pretty much irrelevant at this point, since anything above about 8 is plenty unless you plan on printing some very large images. You really don't need bigger if it is going to stay digital.

what brand is best??? Big debate.. Bottom line is, you can't go wrong with either canon or nikon. I shoot canon, but they have been proven to be more expensive when it comes to lenses simply because they are the only company that makes their own. Go to Precision and hold both and try shooting with both. What it comes down to is which one is more comfortable to shoot with if you have not had any experience with either. With DSLR you can get better photos, but it is all in the lens and lenses is where you can spend the money. You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to quality. You have more room for post process if you shoot in raw which is an advantage over any point and shoot. I guess the bigger question is what is your budget? You can spend about 400-600 on an entry level DSLR with a cheap lens (kit lens). Lenses can range from 500-4000 depending on what you are wanting to do.

Check out craigslist, they have a big video section. If you get one used online, ask for original receipts of where it was purchased. There are a lot of counterfeits out there. B&H on Amazon are reputable and Precision is as well, but they are more pricey..

Knowledge is key when it comes to photography. There is plenty of it online and there are several people on here that also shoot. Good luck and have fun. :)

-Jake

Archived