Why don't we use HOB filters in reef set ups?

Teresa

Live rock plus skimmer works well. Had success in the past with a 55 gallon live rock and a HOB skimmer. Only issue was the slimmer wasn't plus one but nowadays there are high quality HOB skimmers like a reef octopus. I have an emperor filter for additional water flow and chemi pure. A lot of people mod aquaclears to house cheato as well in smaller tanks.

I've also seen a 40 gallon reef with a modified aqua clear as its only source of non natural filtration and he run no sump.

The issue with regular filters if you are using LR the filter as the potential to become a nitrate factory and could do more harm than good

My last tank before I went SW wan an african tank with an undergravel filter. When I converted to SW, I had replaced that set-up with an Emperor 400 HOB and a Fluval canister. Even with just a FOWLR the flow was largely inadequate and the surface had a layer of skim on it. I tried to correct the problem with a Seaclone, back when they had first come out and came recommended. The filtration provided was just horrible and I ended up selling all of those things and added a sump, ASM G4X and a Quiet One 5000 return pump. The contrast is like day and night. You almost can't even compare them.

I have run a mantis tank with an Emperor 400 filled full of LR with success.

I have a 10g and 33g and both have live rock and HOB AquaClear filters. I have them connected to surface skimmer like the link at the bottom, with a slight modification, both for keeping the scum off the top and a bit of aeration. Seems to be working fine for me, livestock is happy and numbers are fine. So, I'd say HOB filters have their place.

I'm setting up another 10g once my gear comes in via UPS and it will have an Aquaclear HOB as well.

http://www.amazon.co...surface skimmer

• 2 weeks later...

Read through this thread. It thoroughly explains the difference in efficiency between a in sump and HOB skimmer. HOB skimmers only remove between 5-10% DOC compared to the 15-20% that a basic in sump skimmer can remove, and 25-30% that a good protein skimmer can remove. The reason this is true is because HOB skimmers dont have as much room for water in the chamber where bubbles are blown out from the pump compared to a in-sump skimmer.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/best-hob-skimmer-179994.html

Archived