55G Lagoon Biotheme with Vertical Loop Current

subsea

Opost-766-134781045682_thumb.jpg

Day 2

Added water and circulated for two days optimizing placement and direction of flow in the tank. Because I choose redundancy in different modes of moving water and enhancing gas exchange at water surface, I use at least three methods of moving water.

My favorite method to move water is with air lift. Before discussing air lift, let us acknowledge salt creep. Usually contributed by salt water spray. The standard air bubble curtain has minute diffusers which cause much aggravation with salt spray. I use 1/2" PVC which I drill with 1/64" holes every one inch. Depending on air pump volumn and depth of water determines spacing of holes and diameter of holes.

post-766-13478114742_thumb.jpg

post-766-134781152033_thumb.jpg

As you can see, there is much water volume moved at the surface. With good airflow at this water gas interface, you will have much evaporative cooling with good gas exchange. Lights out will maximize production of carbon dioxide. If you do not get it out at the water interface, this CO2 will form carbonic acid and it will lower pH. This production of CO2 in display tank is the reason that a surface skimmer used as an overflow to a sump is so effective. This water has much turbulent flow as it cascades over bio balls removes CO2 and replaces with oxygen. When you combine this gas exchange feature of surface skimmer to sump with an opposite photoperiod in the macro compartment, there are powerful forces assisting with stability in display tank. If you combine these processes with aragonite in the substrate, chemical buffering of alkalinity stability is automatic without dosing.

Without having surface skimmers on this 55G tank, IMO, I would eventually have a problem with surface tension allowing a film of muck/scum to form on surface, thereby creating a problem for gas exchange at the water surface. I eliminate this muck on surface with a downward shear current provided by a HOB filter. This downward current is on opposite end as air uplift curtain. I like Aquaclear filters which provide an almost vertical down flow. Many other manufactures have a lip at overflow weir to make water flow at top of surface. I like the sponge as the first stage of filtration. It provides a surface for much micro algae growth which is a perfect pod generator. I especially like the clear acrylic box for easy viewing into this world. My grandson and I share a lighted magnifying glass exploring this minute world.

The third water mover is a large canister filter which allows discharge down length of tank from the air uplift curtain toward the HOB filter. Canister suction can be anywhere. In this case, I placed it on the side of HOB.

Most of my tanks have automatic battery operated air pumps. Penn Plax makes a model that is less than $15.

I plan on adding another 20 lbs of Caribsea Florida Crushed Corals, after which, I will add pods and allow tank to cycle thru micro and macro outbreaks.

More to come