Macro/Mushroom Cube

subsea

post-766-13473059525_thumb.jpg

This 29 gallon bio cube is going through it's first cycle. I have chosen to set this tank up using a lagoon model described by Gerald Hesingler, owner of IndoPacific SeaFarms. There will be no anorobic bacteria to perform de-nitrification.

The bottom substrate is CabribSea Crushed Coral with a grain size between 2mm-5mm. At a depth of 1/2", this substrate will increase surface area for nitrifying bacteria. It will also provide some buffering when pH drops at lights out. One other advantage of this coarse substrate is a matrix for abundant amphipods. When setting up 10G lagoon tank giveaways, I marveled at the abundance of pods feeding next to mollies with lights on. While amphipods would be considered herbivores, they will consume fish and corals if biomass is rotting. To me, this is the perfect janitor in my CUC. I also like Nasarius Snails as well as Florida Ceriths. If you add micro stars to the mix, it makes for much activity in this coarse substrate.

I have added several cups of mature live sand from established systems. In the center compartment, I have added reef rubble from several of my systems. I will use activated carbon continually. During initial cycles, I will use filter floss on top of live rock rubble in the second compartment. After 6 months, I anticipate removing floss as mechanical filtration. I want raw water to feed live rock rubble in the second compartment. My goal is to create a zooplankton generator with this second compartment. Then I can add proper filter feeders like Flame Scallops and Nano Sea Apples.

I will return.

Patrick

The mollies were purchased from PetsMart for $1 each. The Silver and the Creamcycle show the Sailfin more. Using survival rates as barometer, the Black Mollies purchased were not as robust. In the past, I have purchased Sailfin Black Mollies that were exceptional. After these Mollies have been in marine tanks for six months, they triple in size after feeding on high protein micro algae. I also like the way that they reproduce live food. These Mollies will reproduce prolifically and they prove to be perfect dither fish.

Patrick

Day 10

Circulating Red Ogo has been replaced by mature live rock. Some of this rock has been in closed systems for more than ten years, with yellow, red, maroon, mauve and purple coraline algae. Scattered amongst this gorgeous multi colored rock are different mushrooms. One large colony of Waving Hand Anthenia dominates one third of tank. I like where this Biocube is going. It looks good too.

La bonne temps roulee.

Patrick

I like the rock scape. Is that red macro on that rock? How is it attached?

On third picture which is a view from left side of tank, I have a rock from my wet weather stream bed. It has been weathered and was probably at the bottom of a prehistoric ocean. This dense limestone has porous dissolved holes, in which I stuffed a red macro that is very stiff with calcium.

post-766-134783134411_thumb.jpg

The above is a mature cluster of this same red macro algae. It is very invasive, particularly under bright lights. It will grow as epilelets on the surface of other macro algae. This particular cluster is a result of sexual reproduction.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

post-766-134909923769_thumb.jpg

post-766-13490992702_thumb.jpg

This Cube s located on counter between kitchen and dining area. For 30 minutes, morning sunlight filters in with shadows of fish swimming against dinning room wall.

This tank is doing extradinary with a three week cycle.

Patrick

I glued sprigs of Gracilaria Hayi to different rocks with crazy glue gel. Normal color for this macro is dark burgundy. Due to intense refugiu lights at 15W per gallon, much of this looks yellow under PC actinics. I like the green forescence of the mushrooms.

post-766-134913737616_thumb.jpg

One minute later with addittion of 10K lamp, each at 36W.

post-766-13491374887_thumb.jpg

Mollies in salt water, have been around for decades. I used to get exotic Green Sailfin Mollies in the wild from CQuest in Purto Rico. Over the years, they selectively mixed in exotic colors from fresh water strains. Sailfin Mollies from the Caribbean habitat have been crossed with exotics to produce gorgeous marine fish. After eating nutritious micro and macro algae, these fish triple in size and then provide nutrition for predator fish.

During my early days of marine tanks, I would catch native fresh water Green Mollies and grass shrimp. These fish would be adjusted to full strength salt in 4 hours. Later collections in salt water estuaries near Louisiana cost and Galveston cost yielded grass shrimp and green mollies already acclimated to more than brackish. They are a bodacious CUC combo, plus they always provided fun as a family outing to collect these tank mates.

post-766-134984297366_thumb.jpg

post-766-134984302416_thumb.jpg

post-766-134984305211_thumb.jpg

post-766-13498430827_thumb.jpg

post-766-134984311452_thumb.jpg

29 gallon bio cube on day 30.

I really like where this tank is at. The small wild rock in this tank is ugly. But I see numerous little red sprouts everywhere It is Dragon Breath . This tank was set up as a high nutrient system. When my friend had a meltdown, I offered help. Not being familiar with the higher end livestock, I was on shaky ground with my experience. The corals are the final authority. Chipp, thank you for honoring me with your trust. Patrick

post-766-134984374449_thumb.jpg

Your babies are OK.

I find beauty in simplicity. This tank is about 2.5W per gallon of PC lamps, one actinic and one 10K. The mushrooms are seeking more light and expand three times as large. With lower currents, this mushroom displays well, blue, water melon green, purple pimpled mushroom. This tank is the warmest of all my tanks. The cover iis well sealed.