Oceananic Aquarium Drilling Question

Sascha D.

Hey All,

I found an 180 Oceanic aquarium for sale (72x24x24) for $500 with stand. Only problem is that isn't not pre-drilled. I was looking for information about the glass structure and which sides are temptered. Did a few web seaches but couldn't find anything. Anyone know where to get the spec's or have any experience in them?

Thanks!

post-2552-0-41842100-1346940094.jpg

Supposedly it is as easy as donning some polarized sunglasses and looking for the honeycombed effect on the glass. If it is honeycombed, then it is tempered. As I have read, not experienced myself so don't quote me. whistle.gif

Nice grab btw, I was asking the owner of that exact tank if they would sell without the stand, but they wouldn't so I passed. Definitely liked the dimensions on that one!

-Ty

I would assume the bottom is tempered. Sometimes the back of a tank is tempered. I've never heard of the sides or front being tempered. You can always go with a horizontal overflow, but it would need to be 5 or so inches away from a wall.

If you have some polarized sunglasses, you should be able to tell pretty easily. There's a few other methods like using a laptop screen behind the glass.

On the polarized topic, there is a huge difference in this working based on the quality of the glasses. I can tell in my rayban or maui jim fishing glasses before they're all the way on my head. The $5 drug store ones can be difficult to tell at all.

Thanks for the tips!

Nice grab btw, I was asking the owner of that exact tank if they would sell without the stand, but they wouldn't so I passed. Definitely liked the dimensions on that one!

-Ty

Haha my wife actually said she hates the stand. It might be cool if you want to display your equipment, but I'm not too sure about it.

I am not sure if Oceanic has made tanks that large with Tempered glass, I would try contacting them if you can't easily determine using the polarized sunglasses approach.

I tried to call them twice but never got anything but an answering machine after 5 minutes of holding. I did finally find an ordering page to purchase some tanks that says they don't use tempered glass. Only problem is they listed their largest tank at 60x24x31.

On the polarized topic, there is a huge difference in this working based on the quality of the glasses. I can tell in my rayban or maui jim fishing glasses before they're all the way on my head. The $5 drug store ones can be difficult to tell at all.

I got a pair of Maui Jims that I picked up while in Hawaii but I'm not sure if they are polarized. They are definately the best pair I've ever owned though. I might have to try this trick if I can't figure it out based on the model number.

I got a pair of Maui Jims that I picked up while in Hawaii but I'm not sure if they are polarized. They are definately the best pair I've ever owned though. I might have to try this trick if I can't figure it out based on the model number.

They should be. I don't think MJ sells any non-polarized glasses. One easy way to tell is to look at a laptop or lcd screen. The possible angle of view will be greatly reduced or you will see swirls or colors in the screen.

Archived