All About Fish (LFS) in Houston

victoly

I finished up my field work in houston today and decided to drop by a nearby LFS on the recommendation of a friend (Ben Johnson of Captive Aquatic Ecosystems http://www.caecosystems.com/). I was very impressed. They are a saltwater/reef ONLY store (wow!) and have 3 very large frag tanks packed with great looking livestock. I didn't get to speak with the owner, but it looked like they were doing quite a bit of growing on the premises, as evidenced by encrusting SPS on frag racks that had grown onto the rack itself. I just wanted to let folks know that if they're on the south side of Houston, that they should definitely drop by to see a top notch establishment.

Where is it? There are actually a few good stores in Houston. Aquarium world off i10 is cool because they have like a 10,000 gallon saltwater pond. Aquarium gallery off 59 (I think) will make your head explode. Although seems to be hit or miss. It is close to river oaks so usually a rolls Royce or couple Ferraris in the parking lot. Last time I was there there was a Lamborghini aventador. So you can image what's inside. And my friend owns city pets. They have a ton of live stock. Even more then Aquadome (who has way more than most).

Ive been hearing that Hou has a bunch of nice LFS stores with good prices. My wife and I have been talking about making a trip up there to visit family and checking some of them out.

Well don't leave things you want to keep in your car. Crime is bad.

I lived in the Houston area for my childhood and college years. My car was broken into once on campus in college. That was it. I have made a few trips down to Fish Gallery, Aquarium World, All About Fish, and a few others. I'd bring my cooler and put whatever i'd purchased in my car and never had any issues. Just make sure to lock your car. Most of the stores are in decent areas that you shouldn't have any trouble in. I went to one store off of Mangum and it was kinda in the ghetto. Definitly didn't stay there long! LOL

For sure. All about fish was a neatly set up store. Lots of corals! He has an awesome anemone in his display tank. I'm guessing it's a magnificent sea anemone?! Not much for fish but I wasn't looking for fish then either so idk. This was also on Christmas eve!

Yeah, i was thinking that to myself. They should have called it "All about corals" because the fish selection was meh, but the coral selection was outstanding. I pondered picking up some stuff, but his prices were fairly high (for good reason), and didn't want to risk a 3 hour trip back from the SE side of town to austin.