OMG what are these?

renee

Most likely some common flatworm variety. They are generally benign and they feed off excess detritus and nutrients. There are nasty varieties that eat coral and some that are parasitic to fish. If you don't see them on coral they are probably ok, but you would want to look closely during the day and at night, and just before the lights come on. Some wrasse (6 line) eat some types if you want a natural removal method, but it's not a guarantee at all. Excess nutrients is normally the cause.

+1 to what jestep said. They are sometimes more prevalant during the first year a system matures. If you don't like the looks of them syphon them out but I personally would not make any effort to remove them or save them. There is a red species that can be unsightly and can reach plague porportions, those I will aggressively syphon out. Here's an article about them and a handy device for removing them http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html I would add that personally I would never use a medication on a display tank that kills flatworms/planaria even if it is reef safe, most species are beneign and part of the ecosytem.

Archived