Substrate depth

KarenM

I've decided to use pulverized limestone. In my current tank I have 2" of sand, because I read that was correct. Since then I've read it should be deeper. I want to do this tank the correct way, right from the beginning. I'll just have my fish and my LPS until I can get better lights, then I might try some SPS if I get metal halides. I'm not going to try anything fancy with my substrate bed.

What depth should it be, and how many pounds should I buy?

I personally just go with about an inch. I only want it for the look. If you go deeper than 2-3" you might have issues with it crashing in a couple years. No matter the depth make sure and get at least 20 or so Nassarius snails to keep it stirred up.

Where can you get pulverized limestone around here?

I went to Lowes (620/183) and HD (lakeline).

Neither had it.

Uh, oh. Did they offer to special order it? I'llprobaby stop by the HD tomorrow and if they don't have it I'll ask them to order it.

BTW, I'm still planning on getting that Live Rock, but I can't get in contact with Ryan. I'll keep trying.

I have four inches of sand in my current tank, but I will be running less when I get a bigger tank. I usually run about an inch just for the look as Gabriel mentioned. Just enough for any sand diggers (gobies) and snails. To get the benefits of a deep sand bed I would run at least four inches, otherwise I would just use enough to make it look good. Honestly, if you don't have any sand diggers I would just go bare bottom. It is by far the easiest to maintain and if you have a lot of rubble with random frags it can look really nice IMO. I have also seen people use epoxy on the bottom with sand pushed into it so it is just like bare bottom, but with a sand look. I might do that on my next tank.

Karen,

Could you give me the name on the bag.

I went there and didn't see the pulverized limestone.

Must have missed it.

By the way, I have buckets and a 32 gallon trash can you can borrow.

Let me know.

It's Pavestone brand in a brown paper sack. Looks like a big lunch bag. The sack is kind of plain - I think it only has writing on one side. And it's small, I was expecting large bags, but they're maybe 20" tallx12" wide or so. It's the Home Depot on 183 by Lakeline Mall. It's back in the nursery/garden dept. They're on the first row as you come out of the inside store area and turn right. But if you go into the garden area from the parking lot, head toward the big glass doors that go inside the store. On the last row before the glass doors, turn left. As you go down that aisle it will be on the right. They're pretty far down, past the plant food, on the middle shelf about 4' off the floor. I don't recall the man's name that loaded them for me, but he was about 5'8", hispanic, with glasses. If you see him, he should be able to point you toward them.