Book recommendation for nano reef care?

reefN00B

Hey guys, I was wondering if ya'll could recommend a book for keeping a mini reef tank. I'm thinking < 15 Gal. I'm a complete beginner, so something geared towards that level would be great.

Edited by reefN00B

Saltwater tank for dummies was really good for me and its in ebook format if you like that (I did). The concientious aquarist by Robert Fenner is also very good. I haven't seen anything on nano tanks specifically but it's all the same the nano just takes more work and thinking. I have had my 16g up for 3 months now and if I had it to do over again I would seriously consider finding a 30-40g cube on craigslist or here on the cheap. Everyone agrees 40g is the sweet spot and just makes life easier. I have successfully kept mine and all my corals look great but I keep having issues with fish that should be fine in that size. Either way good luck and if you got any questions just ask this site has been great for me :)

• Like 3

I'd like to go but I'm a graduate student without a car. Google maps says 1.4 hr comute from my apartment. Maybe someone will want to do a car pool... Thanks for letting me know about this meeting! It's perfect timing for me :)

That's a long time estimate. Where abouts are you located? I'm way south and would be happy to give you a ride if you're down this way. I have 3 small nanos. They are super easy to care for if you set them up right.

Thanks smile.png I'd be willing to take you up on that offer. I'm located right by 41st and Red River - just off I35.

3 nanos? That's pretty cool. I'd like to hear which fish you've managed to keep in them.

Edited by reefN00B

Cool, I'll pm you closer to the meeting to make arrangements. I just have a bicolor blenny in one, the other is a fishless frag tank, and the lagoon has a damsel, and mollies - a big mama and several tiny babies. There are so many other options though, I'm just not into fish for my nanos. Much more into the coral. At the meeting Teresa is going to talk about several fish ideas for nanos. Should be a fantastic meeting!!

Oh and until recently I kept an angler. That is one very awesome fish, perfect for a nano as long as you're pretty diligent with water changes. But seriously, a water change in a tiny tank takes about 2 minutes.

Nano-Reef.com - Tons of good advice on keeping nano tanks there. I started with a BC14 and the ease of caring for it gave me confidence to continue to upgrade - first to a NC24, and finally to my current Solana 34. I also have a pico. The pico is definitely much harder to keep looking good than the Solana is!