Sump partitions: What are you using in yours

jaggedfire

I am building a different sump and am looking to use 1/4" acrylic for the partitions in a glass sump(40Br tank) and use black silicon (Dow 795?) to seal.

What are you guys and gals using to build yours? Where can one get glass in the proper thickness for our needs? That is, assuming 1/4" is needed in glass. Prices would be a good # to have too.

I am fairly well versed in acrylic, but (properly thick)glass seems more difficult to find.

Thanks!

Having attempted to bond acrylic and glass, I would recommend using glass partitions instead. You might be able to get it to work for a while, but I would have concerns about the bond lasting permanently. Also, I'm pretty sure most people use 1/8" glass for partitions. The outer walls of the tank need to be 1/4" because they're taking the bulk of the pressure, the partitions won't really be stressed.

Call a glass shop with the dimensions of the partitions. I spent about $30 on custom partitions and enough pre-cut glass for an overflow. Acrylic doesn't bond well to glass at all.

I've also tried acrylic to glass and it'll always bow out. And although I am currently using glass from Home Depot in my sump spend the money and buy thicker glass. Also make sure you sand the edges down once they are cut. I've cut my fingers one too many times on mine but can't do much about it now. Also I think sifuentes works in a glass shop so give him a shout and see what kind of ARC deal he can get you.

Binswanger is great. You tell them it's for an aquarium and they will sand it a little better. On my sump I used 5 mm (I think it was). The thing that made me use smaller glass was the amount of space used. How many baffles will you have? I had 4 so that would be an inch of space used. So I ditched one and used smaller glass. But you have more room.

Thanks for all the replies. I had spoken with someone about certain silicones would work well on acyrlic. I have never had good success though.

I will be using 2 baffles, with one a partial integration into the bubble trap. Three large pieces, 2 small. Here is a quick Sketchup:

post-2213-0-63621600-1343888152_thumb.jp

Archived