The tank isnt so embarassing anymore, pics and Q's

Bannerfish

We upgraded from a 72gal fowler to a 125 reef. been puting alot of money and time into this thing, its nice to see the stuff growing cause it was so bare and boring looking. some of the sps lost some color when we moved the tank a few weeks ago, and my poor ponape got MESSED up but its coming back. at first we had ALOT of trouble getting the frag plugs and rubble pieces to stay put until we started using the putty, after they got stuck on real good they started taking off. been having trouble with a plum crazy frag and a certain chalice, but other than that everything is doing good. i have way too many hammers in here, along with various other frags spewn about the floor that i need to find something to do with. also need to tweek some things and experiment to try to get the best colors of the sps to come out.

Since i cannot figure out how to put all these in line with the questions/commentary, hopefully this will make some sense:

The pic with the green rectangular hard coral with the little polyps and the yellow rim, is that a scroll coral? I thought it was, but cant find pics of a green one.

our first acans are doing so well, i want some more! Does anyone have frags of really pretty ones?

the other pics are of my "softie cove" that is in the middle of the tank with the pectinia (not reaally a softie but looks soft), the devils hand that has gotten really huge and likes to drop babies from KimP, a toadstool that grows slow, and a good sized piece of green nepthia that is settling in to its new position. theres a full tank shot, a pic of the right 1/3 of the tank (can you see that green cap, wow! its gotta be my fave cap, that one came from Razor), and a pic of one of my red planet frags that has grown a ton, it goes back and forth from red to green base color, and polyps dont come all the way out all the time. good grower though!

post-2317-0-26157000-1342754977_thumb.jp

post-2317-0-43615900-1342755004_thumb.jp

post-2317-0-91302500-1342755032_thumb.jp

post-2317-0-12769000-1342755064_thumb.jp

post-2317-0-87779600-1342755101_thumb.jp

post-2317-0-22455600-1342755127_thumb.jp

Nice colors and looking good overall. I like the piece in the fourth picture, what is it called (The greenish looking oval piece)

Any fish, or are they camera shy?

Nice looking tank! The coral you're calling a scroll coral (4th picture) is Turbinaria peltata. It has a sister species, tubinaria reniformis that is a nice yellow color noticably smaller polyps. I've always known T. peltata as "Pagoda" and T. reniformis as "yellow scroll" but I'm not the arbiter on how common names are applied. hmm.png I think the genus Turbinaria has eleven species and most probably look like each other..

Whenever I google pagoda cup, its the more fleshy one with the huge polyps. I have one actually, in a diff tank. This ones polyps are smaller than the polyps of the devils hand, they're pretty small. It has flesh like an sps and seems to be growing out into a plate.

As far as other livestock, There's some fish in here, the gobies, coral beauty, yellow tail blue damsel, six line, and the eel. There's the coral band shrimp, fire shrimp, various hermits and snails, sand sifting star, banded serpent star, a dwarf conch and a fighting conch. In the fuge there's diff macro, more little crabs, and the baby cowfish, and more macro in the sump lol.

Totally forgot about this thread. Thanks Sascha! I don't even have pics of the old tank, full tank shots. I only had pics of the fish, some of which are still in here. The tank still looks so bare to me except the lps and softies. I never wanted to get larger pieces of sps cause I didn't wanna spend tons of money and have them die, but so far I've only lost two frags and wish I had gotten bigger pieces.