85g oceanic tank build

gibs

Well done. Great build. You really simplified the ro unit. I'm gonna steal your hose bib spliter idea. I was trying to make it too custom. Looks great.

Thanks Bige hope it works as well for you as it does for me!

nice looking system, love all the pics

Thanks Mr Cob

Ok so it took about 34 hours to fill with RO water. I got some rock from vu and juiceman who were both taking down tanks. Looks awesome. Here is a shot at my first attempt at aquascaping.

002-1.jpg

I am almost thinking it looks cramped but what do you guys think? I was originally trying to go for the concept of a tall tower on the right and slowly bring it down and leave a good foot or so at the left to for some sandbed critters and a big open swimming area...Don't think I quite got what I wanted. Anyway give me your guys thoughts if you have any :P

While I use dsb methods with much less live rock, I like the open look it provides. You need a rock tower to give you that focal point of height. I collected some dense limestone on my property and made my lagoon look like Stonehedge. I like your thought about tall on one side and ending on the sand bed. Instead of a tapered look, consider a ledge with a steep dropoff. This would allow more open space and use less rock. With the picture I saw, the tanked looked crammed with rock. I like simplicity with an open look to my aquascapes.

Patrick

post-766-13452275017_thumb.jpg

This is my 75 gallon display.

post-766-134522762334_thumb.jpg

This is my 135 gallon lagoon. It is presently cycling and needs the glass cleaned

post-766-134522779695_thumb.jpg

This is my 75 gallon seaweed grow out tank on my outside south poarch

As you can see, I like open spaces.

Patrick

While I use dsb methods with much less live rock, I like the open look it provides. You need a rock tower to give you that focal point of height. I collected some dense limestone on my property and made my lagoon look like Stonehedge. I like your thought about tall on one side and ending on the sand bed. Instead of a tapered look, consider a ledge with a steep dropoff. This would allow more open space and use less rock. With the picture I saw, the tanked looked crammed with rock. I like simplicity with an open look to my aquascapes.

Patrick

First off Patrick I love your aquascaping in all 3 tanks! Looks really awesome I really like that high to low sandbed I swear I have seen that same look out at the coast while fishing :)

Next yeah I agree it looks exactly like some one just piled up a bunch of rock in the tank LOL. And to think I spent 2 hours playing with it on the floor then another hour trying to put it in the tank and it still looks like that! I really want a high tower/column on one side of the tank and then a big open space for the fish to swim around in and give me lots of sand to set stuff in! Now I do have some smaller pieces to kind of arrange in that open area just to set frags up on or whatever so it won't be all sand. The sad part is while I can take your car apart and put it back together and probably have it running better, or run 3000 phone/data lines in a high rise and not only have it work but have it look neat! I cannot for the life of me do anything when it comes to aesthetics I spent the above mentioned 3 hours playing with it and got now where. I am going to keep playing with it and Derrick is going to come over Sunday and give me a hand. He was the one to originally give me the idea of doing a tower structure and his aquascaping looks awesome! So cross your fingers and wish me some luck! LOL

So I got my canopy finished up last night and moved most of the apex over, and was playing with the ramp up profiles with the apex to get my lighting set. After about 30-40 minutes I looked over and something glowing caught my eye....

019-1.jpg

Now I saw these little fellas before but I honestly thought with me taking my time getting the rock home then just setting it in a bucket with saltwater and bubbler with no light, and playing with it for a hour on the floor today trying to figure out my aquascaping, that they wouldn't have made it. So I started looking for more. (by the way anyone know what those are? Ding dangs?)

021-1.jpg

Looks like a ricordea shroom to me but what do I know. First time I ever saw him had no clue he was there.

023-1.jpg

This guy I saw but was limp with no bumps and had zero life on him. Now he has what looks like to me feeders sticking out???? What is it? Looks like a leather of some sort to me?

009-1.jpg

Can anyone tell me what all that black stuff is? Looks kind of dark purplish.....

Any way I am half tempted to start cutting them off and putting them on frag plugs and putting in my nano to save them....The other half is curious to see if they will survive the cycle..That may be mean of me LOL. Anyway just thought I would share!

Yeah I have to figure out my camera some reason with my canopy lighting every picture I take is purple. While I do have a slight purple tint it is much closer to a white/blue look. But it's definitely green here LOL