Galveston for Peppermints - Few Questions

nuxx

My wife and I are going to Galveston in just over a week.

We'll be staying at the Hotel Galvez and I'd like to pick up some Peppermints while we're there.

Just have a few quick questions for people that have been down there to collect Peppermints.

1. Are the jetties the best place to collect them? Read that the jetties across from the Rainforest Cafe and Saltgrass were the best collection areas. Also, noticed across from the Hotel Galvez there is a jetty... has anyone had luck there?

2. What's the best time to collect? I'd like to collect around sunset.

3. I have a few nets, biggest would be on a 2 foot handle with a 7 x 12" net. Will this be good enough?

4. What other equipment should I bring? Home Depot buckets, battery powered bubbles, ... ?

5. If we're just getting Peppermints do we need a license? Would my wife and I both need one? Where do you get them and how much?

6. How many Peppermints can you keep in each bucket overnight and for the car ride home in the morning?

Thanks guys smile.png

Edited by offshore

1. Jetties are nice, ulva is what they eat. Find the ulva in the day, know where the shrimp are at night.

2.Collect between 10 pm at 2 am is what i found to be the best.

3.I use what is called a hand dip net, think about jetties and cracks between.... can your net reach in their fast and accurate? Will the shrimp fall through your holes?

4.Unless you plan on holding them in your pockets I'd suggest a couple 5 gallon buckets and bubble boxes.

5. To fish for anything out the oceans you need a license. ANY sporting store will help you, different options are available They will tell you the price. Without one it is a huge fine so just get it and enjoy it :)

6.Peps per bucket depends on water quality, temperature, and air. Often I will collect till 2 am and then right before heading in for the night I will do a water change in the surf of a beach so the water is as clear as possible. The bubble buckets run for ~32 hours on 2 D batteries.

This post reminds me I have some pep shrimp in one of the back tanks and I need to get rid of them. Anyone know of any LFS that are low? I'll go grab some credit.

My wife and I are going to Galveston in just over a week.

We'll be staying at the Hotel Galvez and I'd like to pick up some Peppermints while we're there.

Just have a few quick questions for people that have been down there to collect Peppermints.

1. Are the jetties the best place to collect them? Read that the jetties across from the Rainforest Cafe and Saltgrass were the best collection areas. Also, noticed across from the Hotel Galvez there is a jetty... has anyone had luck there?

2. What's the best time to collect? I'd like to collect around sunset.

3. I have a few nets, biggest would be on a 2 foot handle with a 7 x 12" net. Will this be good enough?

4. What other equipment should I bring? Home Depot buckets, battery powered bubbles, ... ?

5. If we're just getting Peppermints do we need a license? Would my wife and I both need one? Where do you get them and how much?

6. How many Peppermints can you keep in each bucket overnight and for the car ride home in the morning?

Thanks guys smile.png

Thanks Bio smile.png

Do you have an example of the net you use?

Also, how long does the license take to get? Just go in and pay for it sort of thing? There's a D!cks right by our house, guessing they should be able to help me out.

BTW : Somebody looking for Peppermints in the WTB section

http://www.austinree...permint-shrimp/

Edited by offshore

I use hand dip nets, holes the size of a number 2 pencil, goes through water fast and catches anything worth my time.

License take 5 min unless your lucky like me and my dad and get a dumb lady at walmart in rockport that takes 45 min >.< They often offer AAA discount, military, senior so just ask for EVERY option. They often wont tell you about the year to date and only the season year. Just take your ID and cash.

I sent him a PM, thank you :)

I actually know of a REALLY nice wholesale store in CC/port A area that sells everything at 50-60% off, great quality items. Right next door to a West Marine and often I can find the same exact item in each store. The discount store is crowded and has small aisles cause of a lot of items but they have hand dip nets for 2 bucks in 5 gallon buckets. If it is really that hard to understand let me know I'll go snap some pics.

No not at all, I just can't remember the name of the store. It's located literally right next door to West Marine. That store name I do remember :) and put in with spelling errors above on accident :P

Ive never had any luck in Galveston for peppermints, just Port A.

In Galveston I've looked on the seawall jetties and on the North Shore. I've actually seen very little life along the jetties other than those nasty little pillbug critters.

If you do find any, let me know where. We visit Galveston a lot more than Port A unfortunately.

Is it Roy's Bait & Tackle Outfitters 7613 South Padre Island Drive? According to google maps it's located next to West Marine. . .

Dave that is the exact store!

My dad showed me this little gem of a store. For those that don't know West Marine offers up quality items for boats and salt water exposure, Roy's offers alot of the same things but cheaper, their locations being right next to each other make it the perfect place to stop.

One good thing about going to the coast a lot is I learned cheaper ways to live down there than when I first went.

+1 for posting up if you have any luck and where, I also visit Galveston alot more than anywhere else on the coast and would like to know if it's worth making a special collection trip for. I just got back from there yesterday but only got a chance to sift through the seaweed that was washing in.

• 2 weeks later...

Complete bust... we tried a few jettys and didn't see any shrimp. Saw a ton of crabs though.

It has been raining like crazy and just stopped a few hours before dusk.

We went out at dark and the water was extremely brown. Even a few locals out there said it was pretty bad. Also didn't spot much sea weed, so not sure if shrimp would even be there.

We stopped by Surf Side Beach in Freeport and there was a massive jetty there, with tons of sea weed / ulva. It was day time, so might be a good place to look some other time.

Seems Port A would have been a better bet, but hey we were already going to Galveston :)

Im sorry I just now read this. I just moved here from the galveston area where i lived for 21 years. It is VERY EASY to find pep shrimp, rock anemones, sea horses (always die) sargassum fish and shrimp, and many other cool fish that look almost like butterfly fish. The best place to go is head west on the sea wall. where the seawall ends there is a huge condo building (perfect pool to sneak into) infront of the condos are a bunch of rocks at the end of the wall. Look up when low tide is and if you can go when the water is down you will find peppermint shrimp (if at night) and hundreds maby thousands of rock anemones and snails of some sort. I usualy take a 5gal bucket, net and credit card for gettin anemones off rocks. Never had any problems with anyone for harvesting at all, no one cares there. If you go on the beach, pick up the sargassum that floated up and shake it. Shrimp almost always fall out, they are good for the fish to grub on :)

I got every thing I needed at academy sports. licence, nets, and 5g buckets with built in bubler. Got a crap load of molly miller blennies right off the rocks all night in the jetties off port aransas. thing to watch is temp aclimation. our buckets had to have been 90+ degrees from the car and I almost started to drip acclimate until I put my hand in the water. I still lost some just from the temp swing in the house. All were alive when we got home to.

For future reference if you head for Port A, make a run to the far end of Mustang Island and go to Packery Channel. You can collect some incredible stuff from there. I came home with anemones, lettace algae, Flying sea hares, crabs, shrimp, Sargent Majors...

sorry if i knew i would tell ya. it was black yellow and white. very small! looked sweet. my first tank used to be a galveston tank with a hob filter till i realized there was more too it.

10327 Seawall Blvd.Galveston TX. 77554 is the adress of the condos there. if you google maps it with satelite view you will see where the seawall ends. I walk out on the bottom of it (only possible durring low tide) and just look between the huge rocks. Amazing what u can find. When ur all done, as you can see in the picture, the condos have a sweet pool with lazy river and everything.

If its sea horses u want, you will be best off by the cosway (I45 Bridge entering the island) where there is lots of saltwater marsh. lmk if u got more questions, hope it helps!