Anyone have 90 gal tanks?

KarenM

I knew this would happen. :D My tank and footprint are just not big enough (30x12). I'm out of sandbed space, and my 40-lbs of rock are stacked straight up so I can clean the glass and there are always rocks rolling off the top. What really makes me mad is I GAVE AWAY a really nice 75 gal freshwater setup 2 years ago when I moved.

Anyway, I'm thinking about a 90 gallon. Still on the small side, but big enough to work with. I can't afford a brand new setup. Most likely it'll have to be a used freshwater tank setup.

I'd like to hear from 90 gal owners: how much maintenance does it require on a weekly basis? What's your water changing schedule? Is it big enough for a blue hippo tang? Is it RR, and if not, what all was required to make it a reef tank?

110 owner. We went from a 30g to 110g. I know it's only fish, but those guys produce a TON of waist and water quality is an issue. If anything a reef is less forgiving then fish.

1) Twice as much glass to clean, Twice as many thing to dose, twice the top off water you have to add, Water changes are twice as much.

positive-twice the stability and I think it is easier then the 30g

2) I would do 10-20g a week or ,even better, do smaller changes twice a week.

3) Sure. Tangs like to swim. So, I would give the fish room to do it. Also, your talking a pretty high bioload for that fish. NO!

4) To make it reef ready you have to do two things. Drill the tank and install an overflow. I had our tank drilled and built the overflow myself. You can order an overflow. Either way you just silicon it in place. Of course you also have to figure out a sump. That's another can of worms.

Other thing to consider: lighting, skimmer, return pump, added in tank flow(Closedloop or Powerheads)

110 owner. We went from a 30g to 110g. I know it's only fish, but those guys produce a TON of waist and water quality is an issue. If anything a reef is less forgiving then fish.

1) Twice as much glass to clean, Twice as many thing to dose, twice the top off water you have to add, Water changes are twice as much.

positive-twice the stability and I think it is easier then the 30g

2) I would do 10-20g a week or ,even better, do smaller changes twice a week.

3) Sure. Tangs like to swim. So, I would give the fish room to do it. Also, your talking a pretty high bioload for that fish.

4) To make it reef ready you have to do two things. Drill the tank and install an overflow. I had our tank drilled and built the overflow myself. You can order an overflow. Either way you just silicon it in place. Of course you also have to figure out a sump. That's another can of worms.

Other thing to consider: lighting, skimmer, return pump, added in tank flow(Closedloop or Powerheads)

I've thought about the skimmer, pups, PHs, etc. but I have no idea what closedloop means.

Besides the extra glass to clean and doing a larger water change I think a 90 would be easier for you. The more water your system has the more stable it is. The cost on equipment will rise substantially though, so make sure it is something you can afford before making the jump. I would not keep a Regal Tang in a 90. They get too big. If your really want a Tang I would look at a Kole or other type of bristletooth tangs. They usually stay pretty small. The Tomini is one of my favorites.

A closed loop hads circulation to your tank without powerheads. It requires to add more holes to the tank. You will need a drain and some ourlets. It also requires another pump and more plumbing.

I agree with gabriel that it would be easier.

Gabriel-would the fish not be ok if you planned the rock around it and didn't keep many other fish with it? or does it flat get to big?

I'm not set on a tang, I just think the blue hippos are awesome. That's probably my favorite fish. But the whole upgrade thing probably won't happen any time soon anyway, with property taxes and Christmas coming in the next few months.

I see some decent deals on craigslist, but before I make a move I need to find out what is involved with a larger SW tank (my other one was freshwater). My schedule is pretty hectic and leaves limited time, but I was thinking a larger tank may not require too much more time.

If you are looking at the 90g, get the 120g. The price is about the same and it is a much much much much much much much better tank. The equipment requirements are identical (expect maybe the heater) and you get an extra 30g of water, plus (and this is the main issue IMO) an extra six inches front to back. I broke my own rule when I picked up my 70g but I firmly believe you should have as much distance front to back as you have height (or more if you can swing it). It gives the tank more depth and lets you avoid a rock wall (unless that is your thing). You also have a lot more real estate for corals. If you go reef ready the overflow takes up less of the total tank. I had a 90g for about two years and although I loved my tank, I hated my decision to go with the 90g instead of the 120g. Of course I fixed that by getting a 150g. :) I may have to do that again.

I dug up a pick of my old 90g right before I switched to the 150g. I basically just swapped everything over, so you can see how big a difference the front to back width makes. I had an extra foot to play with as well, but on the 90g my rock was stacked against the back and sides, while on my 150g (60x24x24) none of the rock touches the glass anywhere except at the overflow.

90aga-9-01-05-3.jpg

old150.jpg

If you are looking at the 90g, get the 120g. The price is about the same and it is a much much much much much much much better tank. The equipment requirements are identical (expect maybe the heater) and you get an extra 30g of water, plus (and this is the main issue IMO) an extra six inches front to back. I broke my own rule when I picked up my 70g but I firmly believe you should have as much distance front to back as you have height (or more if you can swing it). It gives the tank more depth and lets you avoid a rock wall (unless that is your thing). You also have a lot more real estate for corals. If you go reef ready the overflow takes up less of the total tank. I had a 90g for about two years and although I loved my tank, I hated my decision to go with the 90g instead of the 120g. Of course I fixed that by getting a 150g. :) I may have to do that again.

If I had the money and space I'd go with a 500 gal! Unfortunately, I have neither. The only space I have for it is on a wall that's only about 53" wide.

KarenM,

If you are interested, I have a 135 reef-ready I need to move, so I can set up the 200 we want to move to. Its 50"Lx24"Dx 24-25"H. Its acrylic, would come with the stand, canopy, sump, pump, 2 metal hilides, 2 VHO actinics, and either a Trigger or Aerofoamer clone skimmer (your choice). I might could throw in a Hydor or two, depending, It was originally set up for closed loop, but was not planning on selling it that way (but would if someone was interested). However, it would raise the price, because that would mean including a Dart and Sequence pump, and a lot of flexible PVC piping. The tank started leaking, and can be repaired according to Brian at Kingfish, but I would be basically giving away the tank to whoever bought the rest of the system. Brian said he could get a glass tank for it (if someone wanted to replace the acrylic one) for around $300-$350.

I could even throw in a 4" Hippo tank that is currently living in my frag tank.

I have two 90gs, and have a Hippo (bigger) in one, plus others. Per Gabriel's comment about them being too big for a 90, I have had the larger "Dori" for over a year, and had always planned on finding her another home if she got too big. So far, she seems fine.

I agree with the other comments. It seems the size doesn't make much difference in maintenance. Its about the same for a 50, 90, 135, etc. No matter what the size, you still have all the functions you have to perform. I'm sure a 300-500 would be a different story, however.

PM me if you are interested in the system, and we'll see what we coould work out.

Stephen

If I had the money and space I'd go with a 500 gal! Unfortunately, I have neither. The only space I have for it is on a wall that's only about 53" wide.

Oh I agree. I just wanted to point out that the 55g, 75g, 90g, and 120g are all the same length and the costs to run them are not that much more as you go up. The 75g and 90g even share the same foot print (48"x18"). Where the 120g outshines them all though is in the front to back width (48"x24"x24"). The lighting, pump, circulation, skimmer requirements are almost identical for both tanks so you might as well get the extra 30g and space to play with. :)