Flatworm transfer

jaggedfire

I have my 10gal lagoon tank about 1ft from my 25gal reef tank. I had flatworms show up in the lagoon about 3 weeks ago and just monitored. I have been very careful about not crossing the streams, even to the point of having several separate syringes for my water testing.

I just found two small flatworms in my reef tank today, though nothing has transferred. How do flatworms migrate? I know bacteria and other small org. such as phyto can travel via air.

I don't think they can fly through the air.

A lot more of us have planaria than would like to admit it, or even know. Not all flatworms are bad and most are just another part of the ecosystem. I've had several different types of FW in each of my systems, none of which ever harmed anything.

It's really hard to make sure you don't come across them. Even if you are dipping your corals from any LFS or online, unless you quarantine and dip every couple days, you might still miss eggs. Or just miss some guys hidden way up in the porous rock that we so value.

• Like 1

Some years back, bristle worms were viewed in a negative way. With respect to detrivores, they are one of the best values for the money. While I am not buying up bristle worms and flat worms, I see no problems with this biodiversity.

Patrick