Converted CA reactor

DerrickH

I picked up a pretty cheap used calc reactor that was missing a few pieces here and there, no big deal since I wasn't going to use if for calc, but instead for Kalk. I put about 3 teaspoons of mrs wages pickling lime in it and fired it up. Stirred it up pretty well. Proceeded to installing it inline with my ATO. It turns on every couple hours to stir things up a bit. Well after a while, everything in my sump including my skimmer and return pump gets covered in a gritty white haze. Im assuming that it was not dissolving enough. I have since tore my tank down due to the dino outbreak that took over all my rock and sand. Now that its all reassembled in my garage (new pump and other goodies, testing for leaks and such), Im debating whether or not to put this "retro-kalk" reactor back inline with my ATO or instead just dose A/B. My old pump rotor literally had at least .030" of calcium buildup on it. To the point that it locked up in the stator housing. Short of trying to get the missing pieces of this reactor and converting it back to a CA reactor, what do yall think? Is this skuzzy looking residue in my sump and such normal?

My ATO is gravity fed on a float valve. Not the best way, but was the cheapest lol! I could use a float switch and a pump ran off the apex. I just tried to keep it simple for now with so many other gadgets and wiring everywhere.

Ato tank fills the reactor which is below the tank, once its full, then the reactor goes to a float valve. So Im sure it has topped off when the reactor was running. Since the float just lets it "drip" didnt think it would be that bad though....My ph was stable with this setup but just dont like the idea of my pumps and such stopping up.

Archived